The Delight: Our full report
The Delight, more formally known as 'The Delight Swakopmund', is a relatively large modern hotel on the north ...... side of the town centre. It's opposite the old railway station, which is now the extensive Swakopmund Hotel & Entertainment Centre, and within a short walk of the main shopping area, and a handful of restaurants and bars.
With 54 rooms, The Delight is relatively large by the standards of most of the guesthouses and hotels in Swakopmund, and it feels quite different from the town's smaller and often very personal places. That said, the rooms are lent a sense of privacy by some clever gardening, including hanging pallets planted with local succulents which we thought were stylish as well as functional.
The rooms come in two main layouts, the standard twin room and the family room. Inside, they are very similar, with bright colours, fun paintings and stylish fixtures aplenty. Each room comes with free WiFi, a fridge, an in-room safe, TV with satellite channels and a tea and coffee station, as well as an en-suite bathroom with a shower.
- 44 twin rooms are spread out over the first and second floors around a beautifully planted central courtyard. One of these rooms is wheelchair-accessible, and comes with a bath, a lower bed and a more wheelchair-friendly design.
- Ten loft-style family rooms are all on the second floor and consists of a children's twin room on a mezzanine floor above the larger parents' room. These rooms share a bathroom.
The Delight's breakfast takes place in the large dining room, which is also open to the public and has, we are told, become quite popular with tourists and locals alike. A brightly decorated and well laid-out bar and lounge area is the perfect place to relax with a coffee during the day or to retire for a nightcap before bed, with drinks served until 2.00am; there is even a woodburner to keep you warm during Swakopmund's cooler nights. Fortunately this area is separate from the bedrooms so that guests are not disturbed by the noise.
Staff on the reception desk at The Delight are able to book many of the activities and tours on offer in Swakopmund, and can also help with guidance and suggestions for restaurants during your stay.
The Delight doesn't serve dinner, but it is situated just three or four blocks from the 'Mole' (a kind of harbour wall at the centre of Swakopmund's beach area), where you'll find many of Swakopmund's restaurants.
The Delight is a fairly new, modern hotel with fresh, colourful, and, comfortable rooms. It offers practical, efficient service and a good location for exploring the town. Come for a well-run hotel-style feel blended with a sense of fun.
- Swakopmund & Walvis Bay, Namibia
- Ideal length of stay
- Travellers typically spend 2–3 nights in Swakopmund as part of a trip around Namibia; longer if they want to do lots of the adventure activities which are on offer around here.
- The Delight is opposite the Swakopmund Hotel and Enetertainment Center on the corner of Nathaniel Maxuilil Street and Theo-Ben Gurirab Avenue in Swakopmund.
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- Breakfast at The Delight is served 6.00–11.00am daily. It takes the form of a large well-stocked European-style buffet including cold meats, cheeses, fruit, yoghurt and a fresh made-to-order omelette stand. Breakfast is also open to the public.
- Family holidays
- The Delight’s bright quirky décor and excellent breakfast bar represents a modern and refreshing option among Swakopmund’s larger hotels. With 10 loft-style family rooms and a child-friendly atmosphere this is a great option for a family holiday in Namibia.
- See ideas for Family holidays
- Attitude towards children
- Children of all ages are welcome at The Delight.
- Property’s age restrictions
- There are no age restrictions.
- Special activities & services
- Two of the housekeeping staff offer childminding services for a fee agreed with them, although they may not be qualified childcare professionals.
- Cots and highchairs can be provided on request, but there is no provision for extra mattresses or beds for the rooms. Beach bags, including bats, balls and a spade, can be arranged for families to take to the beach.
- Generally recommended for children
- There are several staircases and balconies at The Delight, so children should be supervised at all times.
- Power supply notes
- There is a back-up generator in case of a power failure.
- There is good cellphone reception throughout The Delight, along with free WiFi. Each room has an in-room phone.
- TV & radio
- Full satellite TV in each room.
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- Al the rooms come with flush toilets, and hot and cold running water.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- There are doctors and hospitals in Swakopmund.
Quadbike warning: quad-biking is sometimes available as an activity in this area. As with any potentially dangerous activity, it’s vital that you take responsibility for ensuring that you have adequate travel insurance prior to getting involved. Be aware that some insurances cover quad-bike activities only for bikes with lower engine ratings: check such clauses particularly carefully before you get on a bike.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- There are security guards on duty from 6.00pm to 6.00am daily. There is also secure off street parking and 24hr CCTV.
- Fire safety
- There is a system of fire alarms and fire safety equipment throughout The Delight.
- Disabled access
- On Request
- Laundry facilities
- A same-day laundry service is available, at an extra cost.
- For personal belongings, there's a small digital safe in every bedroom.
- Accepted payment on location
- Travellers can pay with Visa and MasterCard or cash payments may be made in Namibian dollars or South African rand.
Other lodges in Swakopmund & Walvis Bay
Alternative places to stay in this same area.