Ndedema Lodge: Our full report
Ndedema Lodge is an elegant Victorian House in the heart of Clanwilliam, only about a 2 hour drive from Cape Town.
In 2002 Johan and Wilma bought the house and had lovingly restored it to what it is today. We understand the house is over 100 years old and much of the original features like the high ceilings, doors, original sash windows and shutters have been retained.
There are only four individually decorated en-suite bedrooms at Ndedema Lodge. Two of the rooms are on the front porch of the house and the other two are at the back of the house facing the garden. Each has a large bathroom fitted out with Victorian baths, separate showers, a dressing table; free standing swivel mirrors and has wooden flooring or tiled floors throughout. Complementary shampoo, body lotion and hand cream are provided, as well as towels, bathrobes and slippers.
Inside the rooms each are fitted with an air-conditioner although quite dated, mini fridges, tea/coffee stations as well as some lovely antique furniture and paintings collected by Johann and Wilma over the years. Fresh flowers are put in the rooms regularly and complimentary sherry is supplied.
Out the back there is a lovely garden with grape vines and various other fruit trees and plants, a swimming pool and a few tables and chairs in a shaded area.
Other rooms at Ndedema include a dining room cum kitchen which is adorned with silver and copper ware, a large dining table, an enormous reception desk and paintings on the walls. On our last visit they were busy cleaning and so didn't see the room in its full glory.
Wilma and Johan are fantastic hosts and travellers here are made feel at home. Ndedema Lodge is an affordable guesthouse with lots of character and a great base to explore the nearby Cedarberg mountains and a good halfway stop en-route to Namibia.
Country manager: South Africa
- Namaqualand, South Africa
- Ideal length of stay
- 1 – 2 nights
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- We didn't stay here but understand a hearty breakfast is usually served in the dining room or in the garden.
Lunch and dinner can be served on request.
- Dining style
- Group Meals
- Dining locations
- Indoor and Outdoor Dining
- Further dining info, including room service
- Drinks included
- Drinks are not included.
- Attitude towards children
- Children 12 years and older are welcome.
- The area has mobile reception. Internet and a fax service is available at reception.
- TV & radio
- Each room is fitted with a small television.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- There is a doctor and hospital in the town of Clanwilliam
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- None but the lodge has secure parking.
- Fire safety
- Fire extinguishers are well placed around the property.
- Disabled access
- On Request
- Laundry facilities
- A same day laundry service is available at an extra charge
- There is a communal safe and no currency exchange is possible.
- Accepted payment on location
- Master and Visa credit cards are accepted as well as cash payments in South African Rand.
Other lodges in Namaqualand
Alternative places to stay in this same area.