Kaza Safari Lodge: Our full report
Situated on the beautiful Impalila Island, Kaza Safari Lodge, formerly called Impalila Island Lodge, is right ...... on the Zambezi, overlooking the Mambova Rapids.Please note is it our understanding that Kaza Safari Lodge is now booked exclusively for the use of groups on pre-arranged set departure trips and as such Expert Africa is no longer able to send travellers here.
Approaching Impalila island by boat and rounding the river bend, you will see that the thatched main lodge has been built around an ancient baobab, giving this place a magical atmosphere. It is very relaxed and low-key here: it's the perfect spot just to sit and relax and just absorb your surroundings, either before or after a safari in Botswana or Namibia.
The lodge has eight en-suite thatched wooden chalets, which are reached by sandy pathways leading from the main lodge, and are set in an area of lush riverine forest. Each has an outside deck with views over the Zambezi rapids.
The main area is a large mukwa wood-and-thatch structure, built around a pair of ancient baobabs. The bar and lounge area house comfortable sofas and armchairs, and a small library. There is an outside deck overlooking the Zambezi, where most meals are eaten. Behind the dining area you will also find a well-stocked curio shop and toilets.
To the rear of the lodge there are sun-loungers and quite a large pool, which is perhaps in need of a lick of paint, but good for a swim and cooling off in the afternoons all the same.
Note that although Kaza Safari Lodge stands in Namibia, it is very close to Chobe National Park in Botswana. Activities here include guided motor-boat trips on the Zambezi and along the Chobe Riverfront where game abounds, and also walking on the island. The lodge also offers fly fishing and has specialist fishing guides. The birding here is excellent and over 380 species have been recorded – specialities include the trumpeter hornbill, African skimmer, Schalow's turaco and Pel's fishing owl.
Kaza Safari Lodge can easily combined with most trips to Botswana – or even used for a short side-trip of a few days when staying in the Livingstone area.
If you want even more seclusion and luxury than Kaza, then look also to the exclusive Ntwala Lodge.
Another lodge close by, on the other side of Impalila island, is the relaxed Ichingo Chobe River Lodge.
Kaza Safari Lodge is a wonderful place to spend a couple of days. Its rooms are smart and offer privacy that, along with the private guided activities, makes a stay here really special.
- Caprivi Strip, Namibia
- Ideal length of stay
- 2-3 nights is normal here, but Impalila is a relaxing spot if you want to stay longer.
- From Kasane airport in Botswana you will be transferred by road to Botswana customs, right next to the river, which is about 10 minutes drive. Having passed through here, you will then be ferried across to the Namibian side, where you officially enter Namibia, and then back onto the boat for an onwards transfer to the lodge itself. This last bit of the journey takes about 30 minutes – in all the experience is rather a fun one!
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Full Board & Activities
- Food quality
- The food when we stayed here was excellent. On our most recent visit at lunch we were served delicious homemade beef-burgers with mozzarella and onion marmalade, and chips and salad. At dinner time we enjoyed lamb kebabs with avocado salad and vegetables, and a chocolate muffin pudding.
Breakfast is a buffet affair with a selection of fruits, yoghurt, toast and cereals laid out for you to help yourself to, and you can order a cooked breakfast if you like.
They are quite flexible on mealtimes here (breakfast is served from 7am to 10am) and they are happy to cater to provide for special dietary requirements if advance notice is given.
- Wildlife safaris
- The motor-boat trips along the Chobe and Zambezi rivers are excellent for seeing wildlife. On our last visit here, when we took a boat trip along the Chobe Riverfront, we spotted lion, sable, buffalo, elephant, puku, giraffe, elephant and warthog!
- See ideas for Wildlife safaris
- Attitude towards children
- Children over 12 are accepted. Children from 6-12 years of age may be accepted on request.
- Special activities & services
- No special activities.
- Generally recommended for children
- Recommended for children of 12 years and over.
- Impalila has mobile reception. There is internet which guests may use on request.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- The lodge's managers are first-aid trained. The nearest doctor is in Kasane and can be reached in about 20-30 minutes.
- Dangerous animals
- Moderate Risk
- Security measures
- Whistles are provided in the rooms for summoning assistance in case of an emergency.
- Fire safety
- There are fire extinguishers on the balconies of all rooms and also in the common areas.
- Disabled access
- Not Possible
- Laundry facilities
- A full laundry service is included.
- There are safe deposit boxes in the rooms.
- Accepted payment on location
- Mastercard and Visa credit cards are accepted. Diners Club and Amex are not accepted. Rand, US Dollars, Pounds, Euros and Botswana Pula are also accepted.
Room types at Kaza Safari Lodge
These reasonably sized chalets are furnished with either twin or king beds, which are surrounded by mosquito nets to keep any bugs at bay! Sliding doors open onto your own private wooden deck overlooking the Zambezi rapids.
Each room is also furnished with a large wardrobe, luggage stand, armchair and footstool, and bedside tables with reading lamps. You are provided with a tea and coffee making kit, and a hot thermos of water is brought to your room every morning. Each room also has a ceiling fan, although you will not be able to operate this at certain times during the day when the generator is switched off.
Overall these are very nice rooms, stylishly decorated with the polished mukwa wood walls adding nicely to the effect.
We found the ensuite bathrooms here rather small - perfectly adequate and clean but not exactly luxurious (we understand from the managers though that they are due to be updated shortly). There is a flushing loo, cubicle shower and single sink set into a wooden cabinet with a shaving mirror over. You are provided with various toiletries – shampoo and conditioner, soap, body lotion, cotton wool and earbuds.
Other lodges in Caprivi Strip
Alternative places to stay in this same area.