Oyster Box Guesthouse: Our full report
Re-opened under new ownership in 2011 after an extensive revamp and rebrand, Oyster Box Guesthouse is a ...... small bed and breakfast, situated overlooking Walvis Bay Lagoon. It lies within easy walking distance of several restaurants and the town centre.
There are 12 comfortable and clean bedrooms at Oyster Box, split over two levels, some – which we recommend – with a partial view of the lagoon, others with none. Rooms upstairs have shared balconies, and those on the ground floor share a terrace leading onto the lawn. Both the balconies and terrace offer great vantage points over the lagoon where guests can often spot flamingoes, pelicans and other waterbirds, but the lack of outdoor furniture makes it harder to take advantage of the location. Three of the rooms are slightly larger to accommodate an extra bed for children.
Inside, each room is decorated in a modern, unfussy style with a nautical edge, and has a flat-screen satellite TV, fridge, safe, WiFi access and an AC/heating unit. The en-suite bathroom has modern fittings, a shower, a toilet and basin.
The nautical theme is continued in the main areas with the furniture, paintings and decoration. A large, bright breakfast room on the second floor has windows overlooking Walvis Bay Lagoon across the road, while downstairs is the reception and a small lounge area with satellite TV. For self-drivers, secure off-street parking is available to the side of the property.
Unfortunately, based on our most recent visit in May 2016, and some of our travellers’ feedback, the service at Oyster Box can be a little hit or miss. Although we did not stay here and our visit was short, the welcome we received was a little frosty and the service wasn’t as forthcoming as we are used to.
As with most guesthouses in Swakopmund and Walvis Bay, the Oyster Box can organise a range of activities and excursions to make the most of your time on the Namibian coast, including wildlife cruises, quadbiking, desert tours, fishing and more.
Oyster Box Guesthouse is a modern bed and breakfast in a great location in Walvis Bay. It offers simple, clean accommodation on the lagoon, although the service can be a little hit or miss. We suggest asking for an upstairs partial ocean-view room.
- Swakopmund & Walvis Bay, Namibia
- Ideal length of stay
- 2–3 nights
- The Oyster Box Guesthouse is located on the corner of Esplanade and 2nd Street West in Walvis Bay.
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- Breakfast at Oyster Box Guesthouse is a buffet served selection of fresh fruits, yoghurts and different breads, guests may have eggs and bacon cooked to order, along with juices, freshly brewed coffee and tea. Breakfast is available between 07.30 and 10.00am, but breakfast packs can be arranged for those who wish to eat outside these times.
- Dining style
- Individual Tables
- Dining locations
- Indoor Dining
- Further dining info, including room service
- Drinks included
- Drinks are not included at Oyster Box Guesthouse. While the water here is fine to drink, the supply in Walvis Bay can taste quite chemical to those not used to it, so you may prefer to stick to bottled water.
- Attitude towards children
- Children of all ages are welcome at Oyster Box Guesthouse.
- Property’s age restrictions
- There are no age restrictions.
- Special activities & services
- Cots can be provided on request.
- Generally recommended for children
- There are several staircases and balconies around the property so younger children should be supervised at all times.
- Power supply notes
- In rooms both standard european and large round three pin plug sockets are available but we recommend that travellers bring their own adapters.
- WiFi access is available throughout Oyster Box Guesthouse.
- TV & radio
- There is a flat screen satellite TV in every bedroom.
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- All bathrooms have flush toilets, and hot and cold running water.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- There are doctors and a hospital in Walvis Bay.
Quadbike warning: quad-biking is sometimes available as an activity from in this area. As with any potentially dangerous activity, it’s vital that you take responsibility for ensuring that you have adequate travel insurance prior to getting involved. Be aware that some insurances cover quad-bike activities only for bikes with lower engine ratings: check such clauses particularly carefully before you get on a bike.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- There is secure off-street parking.
- Fire safety
- There are fire extinguishers throughout the property although not in the rooms
- Disabled access
- Not Possible
- Laundry facilities
- A laundry service is available at an additional cost.
- For personal belongings, there's a small digital safe in every bedroom, and a bigger safe in the main house.
- Accepted payment on location
- Payments in Namibian dollars and South African rand cash are accepted, as well as Visa and MasterCard.
Other lodges in Swakopmund & Walvis Bay
Alternative places to stay in this same area.