Swakopmund Guesthouse: Our full report
Swakopmund Guesthouse is set in Swakopmund's town centre, just a short walk from the beach and main shopping area.Formerly used as a holiday home by its owners, the Borg family, the guesthouse has been open since 2008. Of note is its ecofriendly approach, making use of recycled water and solar energy.
Swakopmund Guesthouse has 16 rooms, whose soft furnishings and wallpaper portray tranquil ocean and beach scenes, in keeping with the location. There are 12 rooms (‘standard’ and ‘luxury’) in the main building, and a further four ‘standard’ rooms in an extension across the road. These rooms all face a very pretty garden, offering a peaceful and quiet stay, and a little more privacy and seclusion than the main building. On the downside, guests staying in the extension have to go back to the main guesthouse for breakfast and to use the communal facilities.
The seven 'luxury’ rooms are all situated in the main building. They are slightly bigger than the standard rooms, but all come with the same facilities, including en-suite bathrooms, white linen sheets, satellite TVs, in-room safes, hairdryers, minibars and tea/coffee stations. There are heaters in bathrooms and bedrooms for those cold winter nights.
A two-bedroom family suite is located on the top floor of the main building. It is equipped with an open-plan kitchen and a sitting room complete with chairs and settees, is ideal for a self-catering family holiday. The children’s room comes with bunk beds, making this option ideal for a younger family. Possibly better suited to those with older children is the option of two rooms with an interleading door, although this does not allow for self-catering.
Central facilities at Swakopmund Guesthouse are all in the main building. These include a bright and airy dining room, where a buffet-style breakfast is served, and a lounge area with comfortable seating where tea, coffee and snacks are available all day. The blue-and-white nautical-themed décor continues the seaside feel, accentuated by seashells and pebbles. A small lounge area leads to a courtyard garden with quirky hanging pod chairs. There's free WiFi throughout both buildings, and a secure parking area for guests' cars. An airport shuttle service is also available.
Swakopmund Guesthouse has a few pedal bikes available for guests to hire so they can see the town from the saddle, which is a fun option. Other possible activities in the area range from sandboarding and quadbiking to parasailing and sea kayaking; Swakopmund is well known as Namibia's capital of adrenalin sports. Less adventurous are visits to Swakopmund's aquarium and museum, dolphin cruises at Walvis Bay, camel rides at a farm outside Swakopmund or a day trip down the skeleton coast to Sandwich Harbour. The guesthouse can book any of these activities, as well as making dinner reservations.
Swakopmund Guesthouse is an upmarket B&B that lies close to the sea and other amenities, and offers both friendly service and comfortable, high-quality rooms.
Country manager: Namibia
- Swakopmund & Walvis Bay, Namibia
- Ideal length of stay
- 2–3 nights
- Approaching Swakopmund on the B2 from Windhoek, turn left into Moses Garoeb Street at the first set of traffic lights, then continue until it becomes Rhode Allee (where the road makes a sharp right turn) and go straight ahead. Cross over Nathanael Maxuilili Street, and continue until you reach Hendrik Witbooi, where Swakopmund Guesthouse is situated on your right-hand side.
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- Breakfast is a buffet offering a variety of juices, cheese, cold meats and breads with a hot breakfast option.
Tea, coffee and snacks are available all day.
- Dining style
- Individual Tables
- Dining locations
- Indoor Dining
- Drinks included
- While we are told the water here is fine to drink, the supply in Swakopmund can taste quite chemical to those not used to it, so you may prefer to stick to bottled water, which is provided on request.
- Attitude towards children
- Children are welcome at Swakopmund Guesthouse. Children aged six years and younger stay free of charge with their parents.
- Property’s age restrictions
- There are no age restrictions.
- Highchairs and cots are available upon request.
- Generally recommended for children
- Yes, we belive this is a good option for families, especially those with young children.
- Internet connection is available. There are no phones in the rooms, but guests are welcome to use the phones in reception. The guesthouse offers free WiFi.
- TV & radio
- There's a TV in every room at Swakopmund Guesthouse.
- Water supply
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- There are doctors and hospitals in Swakopmund.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- Swakopmund Guesthouse has unfenced parking on their property. There is a security guard on duty from 4:00pm to 7:00am.
- Fire safety
- There are fire extinguishers and other fire safety equipment throughout the guesthouse.
- Disabled access
- In Place
- Laundry facilities
- There is a full laundry service at extra charge - N$35/£1.75 per kilo on our last visit in May 2018.
- There is a small safe in every room for money and valuables.
- Accepted payment on location
- Cash payments are accepted in Namibian dollars and South African rand. Visa and MasterCard payments are also accepted.
Other lodges in Swakopmund & Walvis Bay
Alternative places to stay in this same area.
Cornerstone Guesthouse is a small friendly B&B in a peaceful residential area. It's just a short walk from Swkopmund's waterfront & amenities.
Welcoming, professionally run, and mildly eccentric, Sam’s Giardino lifts the level of hospitality in Swakopmund to unusual heights.
Not your typical guesthouse, The Stiltz occupies a glorious location over the Swakop River on the edge of Swakopmund.
Villa Margherita is a beautifully renovated B&B in the heart of Swakopmund, with comfortable, well-appointed rooms, and friendly and attentive staff.
One of the larger hotels in Swakopmund, the Strand is well-placed on the seafront with good access to restaurants and the centre of town.
Right on the sea front, Beach Lodge offers good standard accommodation and its own restaurant, 15 minutes’ drive from Swakopmund.
Lagoon Lodge is a quirky little guesthouse located right on the edge of Walvis Bay Lagoon, a good spot for watching the flamingoes that frequent the area.
Colourful and contemporary in style, The Delight is a relatively large hotel within a short walk of Swakopmund's waterfront, restaurants and main attractions.
In a quiet residential location, Brigadoon is conveniently located for the Swakopmund waterfront and amenities.
Friendly Sandfields guesthouse is a cosy and inviting place to stay just north of Swakopmund town centre, and is particularly suitable for families with children.
With a very central location in Swakopmund, the traditional Hansa Hotel is reliably good, though it is quite formal.
Secret Garden Guesthouse is well located in the centre of Swakopmund not far from the sea. With a seaside feel, it has its own small restaurant and bar.
Just north of Swakopmund, the delightful Sea Breeze Guesthouse is bright and well-looked after with welcoming and helpful owners.
Organic Square is a modern guesthouse across two properties in the centre of Swakopmund.
Not your typical Swakopmund guesthouse, Desert Breeze occupies a glorious location overlooking the Swakop River and the desert beyond.
Pelican Point Lodge
Pelican Point Lodge sits on a remote peninsula offering panoramic views of the ocean and is only accessible by 4WD or boat.
In a quiet residential area just north of the town centre, Intermezzo Guesthouse is a comfortable and bright place to stay while in Swakopmund.
Oyster Box Guesthouse
Oyster Box Guesthouse is a small, modern and comfortable B&B, overlooking Walvis Bay Lagoon.
Zum Kaiser Hotel
Hotel Zum Kaiser (formerly Swakopmund Boutique Hotel) is fairly large by Swakopmund standards, but has a good location in the centre of town, near to the beach.
The Namib Guesthouse is a small, modern B&B, set in Swakopmund's peaceful Kramersdorf area. It's just a short walk from the coast and many amenities.