Ta Shebube Rooiputs: Our full report
Ta Shebube Rooiputs is situated in a private concession on the Botswana side of the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park.The lodge’s chalets are set along a mature red sand dune, offering views of a waterhole and we understand that this is often frequented by lion and gemsbok.
Unfortunately we haven’t had the chance to visit Rooiputs yet, however, here is the information we know about it so far:
The camp has 11 tented rooms, which are all set on raised wooden decks and spaced to create a certain sense of privacy. A waterhole is visible from every chalet. The rooms consist of:
- Nine luxury thatched chalets,
- One desert suite with outside sunken bath and
- One comfortable family unit.
The open-fronted main lodge is located on an elevated wooden deck and under a thatch ceiling. The construction combines canvas and wood and an eclectic mix of African furniture.
Activities at Ta Shebube Rooiputs focus on morning, afternoon, sunset, or full day game drives.
Among other activities are educational nature and dune walks, which take place in the private concession around the lodge in early and mid-morning, as well as stargazing through the camp’s telescope. At an extra cost, we’re told that the camp will have some spa treatments available, and that there will be options to visit a local community in the village.
As we haven't visited Ta Shebube Rooiputs yet, we’re aware that we haven’t been able to verify all of the info above. That said, we have had a few travellers stay here, who enjoyed their time, and we’re optimistic that it's a good place to eat and sleep – and enjoy what we do know from experience is a great game reserve.
South Africa expert
- Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, South Africa
- Accessible from Botswana, Namibia and South Africa. Guests can be met at Two Rivers entrance or airstrip and transferred to the lodge.
That said, most will drive. It’s about 250km of good tarred road from Upington to Twee Rivieren, then 22km of gravel road to the Ta Shebube Rooiputs turnoff. The last ~2km of the private sandy track to the camp require a 4WD.
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Full Board
- Dining locations
- Indoor and Outdoor Dining
- Drinks included
- Soft drinks, beers and complementary local wine at dinner are included.
- Wildlife safaris
- Ta Shebube Rooiputs' proximity to the Nossob’s dry riverbed offers arguably some of the best wildlife safaris in South Africa. Expect dry-country antelope and predators like black-maned Kalahari lion, leopard, wildcat and cheetah – for which the park is particularly well known.
- See ideas for Wildlife safaris
- Attitude towards children
- Children aged eight years or older are welcome. However, it is compulsory for families with children to book a private vehicle.
- Property’s age restrictions
- Minimum age eight years
- The family chalet can accommodate two adults and two children aged 12 or under.
- Due to the permanent presence of predators children must be supervised all the time.
Children rates apply to eight to twelve year olds.
Our travellers’ wildlife sightings from Ta Shebube Rooiputs
Since mid-2018, many of our travellers who stayed at Ta Shebube Rooiputs have kindly recorded their wildlife sightings and shared them with us. The results are below. Click an animal to see more, and here to see more on our methodology.
- Power supply notes
- Rooiputs lodge possesses generators as back-up. Limited charging of batteries for travellers is available.
- The lodge gets limited cell phone signals and has a satellite phone for emergencies. However, neither Internet nor telephone access is available for guests.
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- Hot and cold water is available in all chalets.
Water is a precious resource in the desert and the saline water from the borehole must be elaborately purified for drinking and cooking. For this reason untreated water is partly used for showering and the swimming pool and guests are asked to use water considerably. Policies apply to the use of cleaning guest towels and bed linen (not every day).
Health & safety
- Dangerous animals
- High Risk
- Fire safety
Guided walking safari
- Disabled access
- Laundry facilities
- A limited laundry service is included.
Other lodges in Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
Alternative places to stay in this same area.