Nimali Tarangire: Our full report
Nimali Tarangire is a permanent, lodge-style tented camp that opened in 2015 on the north-eastern boundary ...... of Tarangire National Park. Built on a private concession, it is located on the pretty banks of a seasonal river in the Radilen Wildlife Management Area.
The central areas of the camp consist of a stone, canvas and burlap lounge area, with a wood-effect tiled floor and natural boulders breaking up the design. Beautiful framed artwork featuring antique maps of Africa and various plant species are hung throughout. A small, pretty swimming pool overlooking a waterhole and the savannah beyond, is a major feature. It provides a nice setting for dinner, or for relaxing by in the afternoon on one of the loungers. There is also a large firepit boma, used for sundowner drinks.
The ten contemporary tented rooms are raised up on decking and can be arranged as king-sized doubles or twins. Two of the tents are linked together, offering large suites designed for families or friends travelling together. These two large suites have their own small plunge pools.
Inside, the rooms have wood-effect tiled floors and attractive and modern furnishings, with large, cushioned, wicker armchairs and cowskin-covered seats out on the deck. The beds have good linen, and an extra bed can easily be added to make them into triples (Rooms #1-3 only). The rooms are well equipped with thoughtful touches, such as the jar of homemade chocolate. Each tent is supplied with large, electronic safes (can fit a laptop), hair driers, bug spray, torches, umbrellas and fans. The long private decks are perfect for relaxing after a game drive or for sipping your morning coffee bought to your tent as a part of your morning wake-up call.
The smartly designed bathrooms come with double wash basins and very large walk-in, rainfall plumbed showers. Solar-heated hot water is available at any time. Gilchrist & Soames bathroom amenities like liquid soap, body lotion, and bar soap are provided.
The camp is located on the north-eastern boundary of the Tarangire park ecosystem, in a picturesque private concession of baobabs and grasslands, interspersed with woodlands, with plentiful elephants always around the camp. We were really impressed with the amount of wildlife we saw in and around the camp, including a female leopard in the dry riverbed right outside of our tent. The Arusha road continues past Nimali's access road to Tarangire's Main Gate (roughly 20 minutes away), but the camp usually accesses the park via the Boundary Hill Gate. This is around a 45-60 minute drive (depending on what you spot) through the picturesque Wildlife Management Area, and so your game drive starts straight away.
In terms of activities, most guests stay at Nimali Tarangire during the course of a road safari and will do game drives with their own private driver-guide. However, the camp has an open-sided 4x4 safari vehicle for guests who fly in, and it is possible to arrange night-drives here.
If you want a break from the vehicle, we are told that pottering along the very picturesque dry river bed, with its huge boulders and tangles of branches makes for a pleasant excursion. You will need to take a guide from the camp. Stretching out for a few hours on a sun lounger by the pool, with elephants and plentiful birdlife to watch, would be a fine alternative to a game drive. Sundowners are enjoyed on a nearby hill away from camp with a stunning view of the surrounding area.
We are very optimistic that Nimali Tarangire will become one of the Tarangire ecosystem's most popular small tented camps. The staff are helpful and welcoming, and the accommodation extremely polished. You certainly do not feel like you are missing out by staying on the outskirts of the national park, and the camp’s peaceful concession offers a sense of exclusivity at a more affordable price
- Tarangire National Park, Tanzania
- Ideal length of stay
- 3 nights
- Nimali Tarangire is around a 2 hour drive from Arusha. The camp is located outside Tarangire National Park, in a wildlife management area, around a 20 minute drive to the Main Gate, or 40 minutes to the Boundary Hill Gate.
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Full Board
- Food quality
- Breakfast has both hot and cold options with eggs, bacon, and sausage available as well as pancakes, which is what the camp takes enormous pride in! A buffet is also available with cereal, yogurt, and bread options like croissants, sliced bread, and rolls. Bush breakfasts are also available on request.
Most of the time, guests are on full day game drives in the Park, and a box lunch is prepared in advance, which typically contains a meat option like seasoned chicken or roast beef as well as a starch such as pasta salad. Most come with fruit and a drink of your choice.
For dinner we enjoyed cauliflower and broccoli soup as a starter, beef fillet with rosemary garlic butter as the main course, and chocolate mousse with whipped cream for desert. The vegetarian option was a well seasoned stuffed aubergine. More complex special dietary requirements can be catered for with advance notice.
- Attitude towards children
- Children over 6 years are welcome, although this camp has an adult atmosphere.
- Property’s age restrictions
- The camp accepts children above 6 years old, unless the whole camp is booked on an exclusive basis.
- Special activities & services
- There is a children’s menu and special meal times can be arranged.
- Baby cots and high chairs are available.
Our travellers’ wildlife sightings from Nimali Tarangire
Since mid-2018, many of our travellers who stayed at Nimali Tarangire have kindly recorded their wildlife sightings and shared them with us. The results are below. Click an animal to see more, and here to see more on our methodology.
- Power supply notes
- There is a backup generator. The power is on 24/7 and there are sockets for charging in the rooms.
- WiFi is available throughout the camp, although this is weak in the bedrooms.
- TV & radio
- There is no TV at Nimali.
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- Eco-friendly filtered, purified drinking water is provided to all guests.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- A first-aid kit is available. All staff get first-aid training from KK in Arusha. The nearest medical facilities are a clinic at Mto wa Mbu and the Fame Hospital in Karatu.
- Dangerous animals
- Security measures
- There are Maasai askaris around the camp at all times, and guests are escorted to and from their rooms after dark, using a torch. Radios are available and whistles are provided in the rooms.
- Fire safety
- There are fire extinguishers in the rooms and public areas. Fire-training is done with KK from Arusha.
Guided walking safari
Hot air ballooning
- Disabled access
- On Request
- Laundry facilities
- Laundry is included. It is machine-washed and tumble-dried, so all garments can be included.
- There are safes in all the rooms.
- Accepted payment on location
- Visa, Mastercard and Amex with a 5% surcharge.
Other lodges in Tarangire National Park
Alternative places to stay in this same area.