The Seyyida Hotel: Our full report
The Seyyida Hotel is in an excellent location, close to the waterfront and with wonderful views over the harbor.It has 18 rooms, modern interiors and is within easy walking distance of the old town. It is also one of the few hotels in Stone Town with a swimming pool.
Set over three floors, The Seyyida Hotel consists of 18 rooms, 17 of these can be arranged as either a double or a twin, while one is a family suite which is capable of accommodating a family of four. The rooms feel smart and modern, with white wash walls and tile floors. Windows along one side of the room let in plenty of light and the rooms feel bright and spacious. Each has a comfy chair and coffee table, while a wooden vanity table stands against a wall. All rooms have air conditioning, which provides blissful relief from the hot Zanzibari sun. Four rooms have a balcony and come with a sea view, whilst the others do not.
All rooms have en-suite bathrooms. These are styled in a similar fashion to the bedrooms, with a shower, single basin, shelves and hanging rails. Bathrobes and complimentary toiletries are provided.
There is then one family apartment at the Seyyida, located in a small courtyard which is connected to the main hotel. This consists of two bedrooms, one a double and one a twin, with an interconnecting lounge and kitchenette.
A lovely feature of the Seyyida is the large swimming pool, which is located in a courtyard on the first floor. Not many hotels in Stone Town have a swimming pool, so this is a real bonus, and this is a great spot to cool off after a morning exploring the old town.
The restaurant is located on the rooftop terrace and serves breakfast, light lunches and evening meals. This is a great location and gives lovely views over the harbor, come here to enjoy an evening drink and watch the sun setting over the sea.
Most travellers will stay for two or three nights, giving you the chance to explore Stone Town and soak up the atmosphere. There is plenty to do here, with lots of excursions on offer. If this is your first time to the island then we would recommend going on a Stone Town Discovery Tour which will give you a fascinating insight in to the history and culture of the area. Chat to us for recommendations and advice.
We particularly like the location of The Seyyida Hotel and the views from the rooftop restaurant are lovely. It certainly has a lot of character and provides a comfortable base for exploring Stone Town and the surrounding area. It is also one of the more economical hotels in this area.
Country manager: Zanzibar
- Stone Town, Zanzibar
- Ideal length of stay
- Stay for two or three nights to explore the area and go on excursions.
- The Seyyida Hotel is a 15-minute drive from Zanzibar Airport.
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- All meals are served at the terrace restaurant on the top floor of the hotel. Dishes are international in flavour, however expect to see traditional options on the menu such as a Zanzibari curry. When we have stayed here previously the food has been both plentiful and tasty.
- Attitude towards children
- The Seyyida accepts children of all ages.
- Property’s age restrictions
- Generally recommended for children
- The Seyyida is a good choice for families. The family apartment can work well for younger children and the swimming pool is a bonus.
- There is good WiFi throughout the hotel.
- TV & radio
- There are TV’s in the bedrooms.
- Water supply
Health & safety
- Medical care
- Staff are trained in first aid and there is a hospital in Stone Town.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- There are electronic safes in the rooms.
- Fire safety
- Fire extinguishers are dotted throughout the hotel.
- Disabled access
- Not Possible
- Laundry facilities
- Laundry is at extra cost with prices ranging from $2 - $5 per item. This is a 24-hour service.
- Accepted payment on location
- The Seyyida can accept most currencies as well as major credit and debit cards. There is a 5% surcharge for card payments.
Other lodges in Stone Town
Alternative places to stay in this same area.