Crowne Plaza Nairobi Airport: Our full report
The Crowne Plaza Nairobi Airport (not to be confused with the Crowne Plaza Nairobi, in the centre of the ...... city), initially opened in 2017 as the Lazizi Premiere. The Lazizi was the first hotel to be located at Nairobi International Airport. Very conveniently located, inside the airport secure perimeter and a very short, traffic-free drive from the terminal buildings, it is exactly the sort of full-service accommodation that the airport needs. It became a Crowne Plaza, part of the InterContinental Hotels Group, in 2018.
The Crowne Plaza Nairobi Airport is accessed by shared transfer car from the airport terminals. When you make a booking with Expert Africa, your flight details are passed to the hotel and a hotel driver will be there to meet you on arrival. It’s a 3-5 minute drive through the airport area to the hotel’s secure entry gates. You then enter the lobby via a further airport-style pedestrian gate and luggage security check and the reception area is right in front of you to the rear of the lobby.
To the left of the lobby is the Aroma coffee shop and snack bar and the full-service Kitchen 9 restaurant and to the right the Velocity sports bar with a big screen. Porters and other helpers are mercifully absent from the lobby area unless you need their assistance.
The four floors of room and suites are accessed by an elevator that requires your room card key to operate. The hotel’s 144 rooms, all of which can be set up as doubles or twins, include 40 superior rooms, 40 deluxe rooms, and 52 premium rooms (1 of which, on the first floor, is adapted for people with disabilities). Our 24-hour stay in May 2017 in a deluxe room was very comfortable and tested the hotel’s operations to full capacity as it was almost full with stranded passengers from an airline IT failure.
The rooms, some of which inter-connect for families, feature super-sized beds with high-thread count sheets and quilt covers, huge wall-mounted TV/communications screens, tea and coffee making stations, minibars and a well-designed desk. There are plenty of UK-style 3-pin power points, with adaptors for US and European plugs, good lighting and free Wi-fi throughout the hotel. The large bathrooms include spacious and functional walk-in showers (not bath tubs), decent toiletries, hairdryers, double wash basins and a separate toilet cubicle. Rooms from ‘Deluxe’ upwards feature a ‘magic mirror’ glass screen between the bathroom and the bedroom, which converts from mirror to cheeky see-through at the flick of a switch. This feature is the only difference between deluxe and superior rooms, as the latter don’t have this gimmicky feature.
Above the room floors, you’ll find the Euphoria spa (well equipped gym, female and male steam rooms and saunas, lockers and showers and two treatment rooms), a roof terrace with sunloungers and a 10m x 6m (33ft x 20ft), 1.2m(4ft)-deep swimming pool and rooftop pool bar.
With its attentive staff, stylish rooms, decent restaurant and bar options and included transfers to and from the airport terminals, the Crowne Plaza Nairobi Airport is the airport hotel for which Nairobi has been waiting for many years. It makes the prospect of a late flight arrival – or an early flight departure – no more problematic than at most other international airports and it considerably raises this airport’s game.
- Nairobi, Kenya
- The Crowne Plaza Nairobi Airport is inside the security perimeter of Nairobi's Jomo Kenyatta International Airport and accessed by hotel cars which will pick you up and drop you back as required. These are not strictly private transfers, as others may be in the vehicle with you if your flight times coincide. It's a drive through the airport buildings of less than 5 minutes.
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- Reasonably good, international fare is on offer.
- Attitude towards children
- Children are welcome.
- Property’s age restrictions
- The hotel is equipped with baby cots and high chairs and offers a childrens' menu.
- The rooftop pool is chilly, but fun for older children under supervision (no life guard)
- Power supply notes
- There is automatic generator backup in the case of power cuts.
- Free Wi-fi throughout and good mobile network.
- TV & radio
- Large, flat-screen TVs are in every room.
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- Water is supplied by Nairobi city council and the hotel's own borehole. Bottled drinking water is supplied free of charge in every room.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- The hotel has a nurse.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- The airport is a secure zone, with security checks to enter. The hotel has secure gates and vehicles are checked on entry. Then the lobby itself has further security checks on everyone entering.
- Fire safety
- All staff are fire-trained and there are fire extinguishes throughout the hotel.
- Disabled access
- In Place
- Laundry facilities
- Extra charge for laundry service, which can be turned around in 2-3 hours.
- Most currencies can be exchanged for Kenya Shillings at Reception
- Accepted payment on location
- Most international currencies are accepted.
Other lodges in Nairobi
Alternative places to stay in this same area.