Villa Violet: Our full report
Villa Violet is a small guesthouse run by helpful owners, Ben and Heidi Dassac.Situated in the suburb of Klein Windhoek, just a five-minute drive from the city's central business district, it's a convenient and comfortable base for an overnight stay in Windhoek at the start or end of a holiday in Namibia.
Villa Violet has five relatively small bedrooms. Each is simply finished, though quite in contemporary style, with splashes of colour in vibrant shades of purple and violet. Heidi tells us that she aimed for a fresh, clean look and we think she's achieved it. Each room has a double or twin beds, air conditioning, a safe for personal belongings and a compact en-suite bathroom with shower and toilet. There's a TV in every room, too, as well as a telephone and free WiFi access.
Room no. 6 is bigger and serves as the family room with a double and a single bed. There is also plenty of space for a baby cot.
Central facilities at Villa Violet include a cosy lounge with TV, DVD and VCR player, a small collection of books and a honesty bar where guests can help themselves to refreshments (cooldrinks, fruit juices, ciders and local beers, bottled waters and packets of crisps). A tea/coffee station and homemade biscuits are available in the breakfast room throughout the day.
In the morning, a breakfast buffet is served in the bright dining room, while for self-catering purposes the guesthouse has an open-plan kitchen and a barbecue area.
A veranda leads onto a lovely garden, where you will find a small swimming pool and several sunloungers. For self-drive guests, secure parking is possible on the property.
There are designated smoking areas outside in the back garden.
Villa Violet is a simple and friendly place to stay in Windhoek and, while you are here, you can easily explore some of Windhoek's highlights.
Country manager: Namibia
- Windhoek, Namibia
- Ideal length of stay
- Villa Violet works best as a first or last night on a trip to Namibia.
- Situated at 48 Ziegler Street, Villa Violet is about a 40-minute drive from Windhoek International Airport.
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- Villa Violet serves a generous continental breakfast buffet, with hot breakfast cooked to order.
They don't serve lunch or dinner, but will be more than happy to recommend and book restaurants in town, and even arrange a taxi so that you don't have to drive. Alternatively, if you're tired and prefer to order in, you're welcome to use the dining room.
- Dining style
- Individual Tables
- Dining locations
- Indoor and Outdoor Dining
- Further dining info, including room service
- Drinks included
- Complimentary coffee and tea are available in the dining room throughout the day. Other drinks are not included but there is an honesty bar, and these can be paid for at the end of your stay.
- Attitude towards children
- Children of all ages are welcome.
- Property’s age restrictions
- Villa Violet has no age restrictions.
- Special activities & services
- The family room has space for a baby cot, which the guesthouse can provide on request, but there are no highchairs.
- Generally recommended for children
- We think that children will feel welcome here.
- The swimming pool is unfenced. Children must be under the supervision of their parents at all times.
- Power supply notes
- There are plug points in each room for charging camera batteries and electrical equipment. On our last visit in 2016, the guesthouse has travel adapters available for sale at reception for N$30 (approximately £1.80).
- Every guest room has a telephone and free WiFi, which is also available in the main area.
- TV & radio
- There's a TV in every room with a limited bouquet of satellite channels.
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- All rooms have a plumbed-in shower and a flushing toilet.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- There are doctors, medical centres and several hospitals in Windhoek.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- Villa Violet is fenced in, and guests are provided with a remote button to operate the electric gate. A night-guard is on site between 6.00pm and 6.00am. At other times, one of the owners, Heidi or Ben, is normally around.
- Fire safety
- There are fire extinguishers outside in the public areas, in the kitchen and in the front garden.
- Disabled access
- Not Possible
- Laundry facilities
- Full Laundry Service - Extra Charge. When we visited in 2016 laundry was charged at N$100 (approx £6) per load. Laundry needs to be handed in during the early afternoon to be returned the next day.
- There is a small safe in each room. Villa Violet does not offer currency exchange.
- Accepted payment on location
- Payments may be made in cash (Namibian dollars or South African rand), or by Visa card.
Other lodges in Windhoek
Alternative places to stay in this same area.