Mokuti Etosha Lodge: Our full report
Situated just outside the eastern edge of Etosha National Park, set in its own small reserve, Mokuti Etosha ...... Lodge is the largest 'lodge' in this area; in many ways it is really a hotel in the bush.
Each of Mokuti's 106 rooms is set under cool thatch, and equipped with, air-conditioning, a telephone, a mini-fridge, a hairdryer, room safes, electronic door locks and satellite TV with eight channels. There is also a minibar with tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms which all have en-suite bathrooms with a shower. The standard rooms are mostly twin, and are decorated in fresh cool colours with spacious bathrooms. The eight Luxury Suites have king size beds and a small lounge area; while the eight family suites can accommodate up to three children.
Mokuti Lodge's large main area offers a free-of-charge business centre, a curio shop, a lounge, a children's play area and a choice of two bars, the Etambi Pool Bar, which offers drinks and light snacks throughout the day, and the Marula Bar (open in high season), which offers African and international cocktails, long drinks and beers served around a pool and billiards table. There is a choice of two restaurants. Tambuti serves international and African cuisine, with a daily changing buffet and an a la carte menu. The other restaurant, Boma, serves African cuisine, and dinners such as grilled game and Potjes. If that is not enough choice, the lodge can arrange for private dining and bush breakfasts, as well as candlelight dinners. All public areas offer wireless internet access.
The gardens are lush, green and manicured, with plenty of space, even if the lodge is full. Keep an eye on the cheeky banded mongoose and squirrels who have become quite brave when there’s food around!
Activities available include private and scheduled game drives into Etosha National Park and on Mokuti's reserve. For those that don't wish to venture out, the lodge has its own reptile park, a baby crocodile and 3pm feeding time on Fridays or Saturdays. There are three waterholes on the Mokuti Reserve. The lodge also offers story-telling, guided walks and bird watching for free, and a local village visit for a small cost (on our last visit in May 2014 it was N$500 per person for a shared trip, or N$2500 per person for a private trip).
If you don't want to drive yourself around Etosha, then Mokuti Lodge offers daily guided game drives into Etosha National Park; they have two nine-seater vehicles, and one twenty seater. The lodge can also arrange, guided bush walks, and short walking trails.
For active guests, the lodge has two swimming pools as well as a children's splash pool, a billiard room and two floodlit tennis courts.
For a more relaxing activity, Mokuti Etosha Lodge is home to the Mokuti Spa, which offers a range of relaxing massages, aromatherapy, scrubs, manicures and pedicures, as well as a sauna and jacuzzi. Also in the main area is the lodge's popular 24-hour gym, which overlooks a waterhole so that you can work out while game viewing.
Mokuti Etosha Lodge is well located for exploring eastern Etosha. It is large – and as a result doesn’t have the same intimate feel of the smaller lodges, however it’s well run, with good facilities.
- Etosha National Park, Namibia
- Ideal length of stay
- Stay here for 2-3 nights to explore eastern Etosha.
- The Mokuti Etosha Lodge is right next to the eastern gate into Etosha National Park.
It's easy to reach, and very close to the main road; the turnoff is right next to the Von Lindequist Gate – about 110km from Tsumeb.
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Half Board
- Food quality
- Breakfast is a buffet available from 6:30am-10:00am.
A buffet lunch or an a la carte menu including salads and light lunches is available 12:00am-2:30pm.
For dinner there is a choice of two restaurants with a variety of cuisines on offer 6:30pm-10:00pm.
- Attitude towards children
- Children are welcome in this hotel.
- Property’s age restrictions
- There are no age restrictions.
- Special activities & services
- There is a children’s pool and play areas.
- Cots and highchairs are available.
- Generally recommended for children
- Yes, Mokuti Etosha Lodge is well equipped for children.
- As with any area which has dangerous game, young children should always be closely supervised by their parents.
- Complimentary WiFi is available throughout the property.
- TV & radio
- There is a TV in the bar and all rooms have flat screen televisions.
- Water supply
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- The nearest doctor is in Tsumeb.
- Dangerous animals
- High Risk
- Security measures
- There is a guard on gate 24 hours.
- Fire safety
- There is an extinguisher for each block, and fire hoses are dotted around.
- Disabled access
- In Place
- Laundry facilities
- There is a 24-hour laundry service available, at an extra charge.
- Namibian Dollars, Pounds, Euros US dollars and Rand are all accepted here.
- Accepted payment on location
- Visa, Amex and MasterCard are accepted. Travellers' cheques are not accepted.
Other lodges in Etosha National Park
Alternative places to stay in this same area.