Brigadoon: Our full report
If you enjoy a bit of seclusion, then Brigadoon, set in the well-established gardens of the owner's house, ...... is in a quiet residential area of Swakopmund, not far from the beach and within a couple of minutes' walk of the town centre.
Brigadoon is a boutique bed and breakfast decorated in a modern style in creams and browns with splashes of brighter colour here and there and African-influenced art on the walls. It offers seven well-kept rooms, including a family room capable of comfortably sleeping four, and they are all supplied with WiFI, satellite TV, mini-bar, hairdryer, toiletries and a safe . The rooms are open plan, meaning that there is no door on the bathroom, although there is a partition between the toilet and the rest of the room. The en-suite bathroom is painted off-white with pebbles used to create the shower floor. The 'rain' shower has a large head for a relaxing shower after a long day.
All of the rooms are on the ground floor and have a decked patio and garden outlook, with dividing walls and strategic hedges providing privacy for the adjoining room s.
The main area consists of a reception room, a well-kept garden with a trimmed lawn, and an outside braai area that guests are welcome to use. Breakfast is served to you on your veranda, although in cold weather it can be served inside. On arrival you will be asked what time you would like breakfast and how you would like your eggs – a question which should be given careful consideration, as on our last visit we found the staff to be quit insistent that we stick sharply to the designated time. Eating breakfast in the natural surroundings of the courtyard though was a delightful experience.
The lodge can book all local restaurants and activities available in Swakopmund. The staff here are friendly and attentive to your needs, however, as there is no lounge, there is not that much opportunity to chat to the staff or fellow guests.
Brigadoon is a peaceful and quiet place to stay in Swakomund. It has a good location within walking distance of the centre of town, and offers clean and comfortable rooms with a pretty garden.
- Swakopmund & Walvis Bay, Namibia
- Ideal length of stay
- 2-3 nights
- Brigadoon is located on Ludwig Koch Street in the centre of Swakopmund.
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- Breakfast consists of a choice of eggs, cereals, ground coffee, fruit, toast, and yoghurt. This was all perfectly acceptable but on our last visit we found there to be less choice than the buffet breakfasts on offer at other Swakopmund Guesthouses.
- Attitude towards children
- Children are welcome at Brigadoon.
- Property’s age restrictions
- There are no age restrictions at Brigadoon.
- Special activities & services
- Cots and high chairs are available.
- Generally recommended for children
- Internet access is available in reception.
- TV & radio
- Local TV and DSTV are available in all rooms.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- There are many doctors and a hospital in Swakopmund.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- Each room is individually alarmed with a remote control on your room key. The gate is always locked and during the night security guards are on duty.
- Fire safety
- There is a fire extinguisher in each room.
- Disabled access
- On Request
- Laundry facilities
- A laundry service is available for an extra charge.
- A currency exchange is available for major currencies.
- Accepted payment on location
- Visa and MasterCard are accepted but travellers' cheques are not.
Other lodges in Swakopmund & Walvis Bay
Alternative places to stay in this same area.