Hansa Hotel: Our full report
The oldest hotel in Swakopmund, opened over a century ago, the four-star Hansa Hotel has a good central location ...... in the town centre. The hotel has undergone a recent refurbishment in recent years, giving this historic hotel a modern style.
The Hansa's rather grand reception area is decked out in light marble and dark solid wood, its uniformed staff offering friendly and efficient service. In the intimate residents' lounge, with a small library and a separate bar, the wood panelling, fireplace and décor combine to make it feel formal yet strangely cosy. Breakfast and dinner are served in the formal Equestrian dining room while lunches are normally served in The Terrace, a pleasant room with large windows overlooking the central courtyard gardens, found just beyond the grand staircase.
Guest accommodation at the Hansa consists of a mix of rooms, suites and family units:
- 49 double or twin rooms are a good size with solid furnishings and an en-suite bath or shower room. Following refurbishment the rooms have a much brighter, more modern look to them, and all have underfloor heating and air conditioning, as well as a phone, safe, satellite television, hairdryer and tea and coffee station. 17 of these rooms are located at the back of the hotel and have balconies overlooking the gardens.
- Four suites each have a large separate lounge/bar area, in addition to the en-suite bedroom.
- Five family units each have an adjacent second bedroom, suitable for children.
The Hansa Hotel is a reliable choice if you prefer to stay in a larger, more formal hotel in Swakopmund. Its standards match those of international hotel chains, with professional staff, but the buildings history helps to add some character and atmosphere. The hotel’s location is also incredibly convenient for exploring Swakopmund.
- Swakopmund & Walvis Bay, Namibia
- Ideal length of stay
- 2-3 nights
- The Hansa Hotel is on Hendrik Witbooi Street in the centre of Swakopmund.
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- Light lunches are served in 'The Terrace', but breakfastand an à la carte dinner are taken in the more formal Equestrian dining room. Both restaurants offer a sizeable and tempting range of seafood and game dishes.
With advance notice and for an extra cost, the hotel will also arrange breakfast and lunch packs.
- Dining style
- Individual Tables
- Dining locations
- Indoor Dining
- Further dining info, including room service
- Yes - on request
- Drinks included
- Drinks are not included.
- Attitude towards children
- Well-behaved children are accepted at the Hansa.
- Property’s age restrictions
- The hotel has no minimum age restrictions.
- Special activities & services
- Childminding can be arranged at an extra cost, although parents should note that childminders are not formally or professionally trained in childcare.
- High chairs and cots are available on request. The hotel has five inter-leading family units that are suitable for families.
- Generally recommended for children
- The Hansa has a rather formal atmosphere, so while it is fine for children, we think there are better options in Swakopmund for those with young children.
- Power supply notes
- There are plug points in all the rooms.
- There is a telephone in each of the rooms and there is cellphone reception. The hotel also has WiFi, which is normally also available in the rooms.
- TV & radio
- Television with some satellite channels.
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- All rooms have a plumbed-in shower, and most also have a bathtub. There are flushing toilets.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- There are many doctors and a hospital in town.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Fire safety
- There are fire extinguishers and fire hoses in the hallways of the hotel.
- Disabled access
- On Request
- Laundry facilities
- Available for an extra charge.
- Each room has a safe. The hotel does offer currency-exchange facilities.
- Accepted payment on location
- Visa and Mastercard are accepted, as are cash payments in Namibian dollars, South African rand, euros, GB sterling and US dollars.
Other lodges in Swakopmund & Walvis Bay
Alternative places to stay in this same area.