Stanley Safari Lodge: Our full report
Bordering the Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park near Livingstone, about 3km as the crow flies from the Victoria ...... Falls, Stanley Safari Lodge offers a peaceful base from which to explore the area. Unlike most other lodges we feature in Livingstone, it is set on a hill overlooking unspoilt bush, well away from the river, but with views of the spray from the Falls when they are in full flow.
The African style and furnishings of Stanley Safari Lodge reflect the textures and patterns of Africa, and the service is efficient and friendly whether you are choosing to relax by the pool, or take part in some of the more adventerous activities that Livingstone and the Victoria Falls have to offer.
There are 10 rooms at Stanley Safari Lodge– six ‘cottages’ and four suites – each designed and furnished in a traditional African style. Some are open-fronted, and others enclosed, but all afford views across the bush to the spray of the Falls beyond.
- Of the six cottages, five have an open front, enabling you to absorb the sights and sounds of the African bush, with king-size or twin beds and an en-suite bathroom. A sixth, closed cottage has a similar layout but with a solid front.
- The open-fronted Honeymoon Suite has a larger bedroom than the cottages, and has its own plunge pool and fireplace.
- The open-fronted Family Suite has these same amenities, but also has an extra room that uses the same bathroom. It works well for families with younger children, but may feel cramped with four adults sharing.
- Two closed suites, Livingstone and Stanley, with their built-in fireplaces, make a cosier choice during the colder winter nights, between about May and August. Both suites have a covered terrace and private plunge pool, and with two en-suite bedrooms the Stanley Suite also works well for families.
There's a lot of choice of where to eat. Even though the lodge has a dining room, you can dine outdoors under the stars, in the privacy of your suite, in the wine cellar or even in the infinity pool.
Several activities are included in the nightly rate at Stanley Safari Lodge, including mountain biking, village and museum tours, guided tours of the Victoria Falls, and most excitingly walking safaris to see the reintroduced white rhino in the nearby Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park. The lodge will happily help you to arrange other activities that aren’t included, too.
Stanley Safari Lodge is a comfortable, but very reasonably priced lodge, set in a peaceful area away from the crowds. With its small, personal, safari-lodge style and fully inclusive rate, it perfectly suits those looking for a property close to Livingstone and the Victoria Falls, but keen to avoid the larger hotels in town.
- Livingstone & Victoria Falls, Zambia
- Ideal length of stay
- 2–3 nights
- Stanley Safari Lodge is 25 minutes’ drive from Zambia's Livingstone Airport, an hour's drive from Zimbabwe's Victoria Falls Airport, or one-and-a-half hours' drive from Kasane in Botswana.
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Full Board & Activities
- Food quality
- Meals at Stanley Safari Lodge are very tasty and varied without being pretentious.
Breakfast is a continental or full English, with cereals, fruits, bread, tea, coffee and juice as well as eggs and bacon.
A warm lunch is served from a set menu, usually a quiche or small meat dish with a side salad.
High tea is served in the afternoon, with scones or cake and cookies.
Dinner is a three-course set menu of African fusion food. For example on our last visit we enjoyed a crocodile stir fry!
- Attitude towards children
- Children of all ages are welcome.
- Property’s age restrictions
- There are no age restrictions here.
- Special activities & services
- Generally recommended for children
- Stanley Safari Lodge has two family suites, although there is not a huge amount to keep children amused.
- Due to the unfenced swimming pool, and baboons that are occasionally seen in camp, children should be supervised at all times by their parents.
- Power supply notes
- Back up generator
- WiFi and internet in main area, cellphone reception.
- TV & radio
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- All rooms have flush toilets and plumbed in showers and baths.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- There is a first aid kit on site.
- Dangerous animals
- Moderate Risk
- Security measures
- The site is fenced and guarded 24 hours.
- Fire safety
- Fire extinguishers are located throughout the lodge.
- Disabled access
- On Request
- Laundry facilities
- Laundry is included but limited to 10 items per room per day in order to save water.
- There are safes in each room.
- Accepted payment on location
- Cash payments are accepted in US dollars, Euros, British pounds, Botswana Pula, South African Rand and Zambian Kwacha. Payment can also be made with Visa and MasterCard with a 5% surcharge.
Other lodges in Livingstone & Victoria Falls
Alternative places to stay in this same area.