Cascade Island Lodge: Our full report
Situated 70 kilometres upriver from the Victoria Falls on the Zambezi River, Cascade Island Lodge (formerly ...... Ntwala Island Lodge) is quite simply a beautiful and exclusive retreat. On a private island, with only four luxurious double suites that are each individually designed, it has a really personal feel.Please note is it our understanding that Cascade Island Lodge is now booked exclusively for the use of groups on pre-arranged set departure trips and as such Expert Africa is no longer able to send travellers here.
The large and private suites are furnished to a very high standard with king-size beds surrounded by mosquito netting drapes. From here you can look out over your private deck with plunge pool; both nestled amongst the lush vegetation. The room has two comfortable chairs with a reading table in between, a wardrobe, writing desk, tea and coffee making facilities, a decanter of sherry, a well-stocked mini bar (included) and a small safe. Outside there is a sala (with day bed) and a wooden veranda extending over the river with swings and deck chairs, as well as the plunge pool to cool off from the day's heat.
The spacious en-suite bathrooms are pretty impressive with his and hers wooden basins, a luxurious stone bathtub and both an indoor and outdoor shower.
The main building has an open plan lounge area with comfortable sofas and a dining area with individual tables. There is a well-stocked bar and a walk in wine cellar available to enjoy some pre and post dinner drinks. Cascade Island Lodge has a curio shop, too, to buy some souvenirs from your trip.
To the front of the main area, overlooking the Mambova rapids, is a fire pit surrounded by directors' chairs where the campfire is set up in the evenings and guests gather before and after dinner to chat and enjoy drinks. The lodge also has an elevated, river-facing viewing deck from where you can enjoy beautiful views and watch the bird and wildlife which frequent this area.
Cascade is very close to Chobe National Park in Botswana; so some of its activities are based around various types of game viewing experiences. Most activities here are privately guided - each set of guests being allocated their own personal guide. These include boat trips along the Chobe River where, in season, you will get to see huge herds of elephant coming to drink at the waters edge, as well as many other species of game. Other such trips include sundowner boat cruises, bird watching walks, cultural village visits and fishing. Game drives into the Chobe National Park and day trips (by light aircraft or by road) to Victoria Falls can also be arranged.
Cascade Island Lodge is an exclusive lodge and a wonderful place to stay for a honeymoon, offering great service, stylish accommodation and excellent food.
As well as being incorporated into a trip through the Caprivi, a stay at Cascade can easily be combined into most trips to Botswana – or even used for a short side-trip of a few days when coming from, or going to, the Livingstone and Victoria Falls.
- Caprivi Strip, Namibia
- Ideal length of stay
- Two to three nights
- Cascade Lodge is accessed by boat transfer from Kasane in Botswana. Most self-drivers from Namibia will have dropped their car in Kasane and will be transferred to Kasane immigration to head back into Namibia by water.
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Full Board & Activities
- Food quality
- Whenever we have visited Cascade Lodge the standard of food has been exceptionally high. Beautifully presented and well cooked; meals here are a real joy.
- For a exclusive and luxurious Namibia honeymoon, Cascade's beautiful suites are perfect for honeymooners. Activities are always available and travelling by boat always seems somehow 'softer' and even more romantic than by rugged 4WD.
- See ideas for Honeymoons
- Being on a lush island between the Chobe and Zambezi rivers, Cascade is a top Namibia birdwatching destination. Some of the Okavango's specials are found nearby, as well as highly unusual species like the rock pratincoles, which frequent the rapids.
- See ideas for Birdwatching
- Wildlife safaris
- Cascade's motor-boat trips along the Chobe and Zambezi rivers are excellent for birdlife, and spotting hippos and crocodiles. Relaxed big game from herds of elephants to massive congregations of buffalo are also often seen – especially during Botswana's dry season.
- See ideas for Wildlife safaris
- Attitude towards children
- All drinks are included apart from premium wines and spirits.
- Property’s age restrictions
- There is no age restriction here.
- Special activities & services
- Generally recommended for children
- As it is such a romantic getaway we do not really think Cascade suits children particularly well.
- Children should be supervised at all times.
- Power supply notes
- On in the evenings and mornings only.
- There is mobile phone reception but the signal is weak. WiFi is available in the main area.
- TV & radio
- There is no TV here.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- The closest doctor is in Kasane
- Dangerous animals
- Moderate Risk
- Security measures
- The camp is not easy to access but is still guarded at night.
- Fire safety
- Fire extinguisher outside each room
Guided walking safari
- Disabled access
- Not Possible
- Laundry facilities
- There are safe deposit boxes in the rooms.
- Accepted payment on location
- MasterCard and Visa credit cards are accepted. Diner’s Club and Amex are not accepted. Rand, US dollars, UK Pounds, Euros and Botswana Pula are accepted in cash.
Other lodges in Caprivi Strip
Alternative places to stay in this same area.