The Nest at Sossus: Our full report
The Nest at Sossus is a brand new private villa situated on the Namib Tsaris Conservancy near to Sesriem.It is due to open on the 1st February 2019 and available to book on a private basis. Designed with inspiration coming from the sociable weaver nest, it looks to offer an exclusive and luxurious experience in this iconic area of Namibia.
We have not yet had a chance to visit this new property, however this is what we know so far. We understand that The Nest is eight years in the making and akin to its weaver nest inspiration it is made almost entirely of thatch. It has three private en-suite double bedrooms as well as an en-suite children's room, therefore it can accommodate up to seven guests at a time.
The design looks to major on minimalism with most of the modern, stylish furnishings and furniture selected from up and coming African designers. These adorn the spacious indoor and outdoor lounge and dining areas. as well as the library and open-plan kitchen. From the pictures that we have seen so far, it certainly looks impressive and very contemporary, we especially like the look of the round, porthole-like windows which really add to the nest appearance.
In the immediate vicinity of the villa and amongst art installations, is a children's playground (which we understand to be 'discreet'), a swimming pool and also a number of sitting areas set under the camelthorn trees present in this valley. The valley has a number of seasonal waterholes and falls and a variety of wildlife is likely to be present in the area, a floodlit waterhole will also help with trying to spot it.
Although this is a more permanent and more luxurious camp than it's sister properties of Huab Under Canvas and Sossus Under Canvas, the common theme of exceptional guiding and service running through these camps means that we think they would still combine well.
We have long known the experienced team behind this lodge and have no doubt that the activities will be well delivered. From The Nest It is around 45 minutes drive to the main gate of the Namib-Naukluft National Park in Sesriem, which gives access the famous dunes and Sossuslvei and Deadvlei. As well as this nature drives and walks are possible on the private Namib Tsaris Conservancy and scenic flights and hot-air balloon flights can also be arranged.
We are very excited to see this new property, it certainly looks like nothing else in the area and we will endeavour to visit as soon as possible. Once we have more information and/or one of our team has visited, we'll post more details here.
Country manager: Namibia
- Namib-Naukluft National Park, Namibia
- Ideal length of stay
- Minimum 3 night stay.
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Full Board & Activities
- Family holidays
- Housing up to seven guests, the exclusive Nest at Sossus comes with hosts, a private guide and a chef, making it a wonderful family retreat with the flexibility to do things at your own pace. A "discreet" children's playground and a swimming pool are an added bonus.
- See ideas for Family holidays
- The Nest at Sossus is the height of style and luxury in the Namib-Naukluft area. An exclusive-use villa with a private guide and chef, it offers the ultimate flexibility to explore both the private reserve and the famous national park at your own pace.
- See ideas for Luxury
- Attitude towards children
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- There is a nurse based in a small clinic at Sesriem. In the event of a serious medical emergency, guests would be evacuated to Windhoek by air.
- Dangerous animals
- Moderate Risk
- Fire safety
- Disabled access
- On Request
Other lodges in Namib-Naukluft National Park
Alternative places to stay in this same area.