Cornerstone Guesthouse: Our full report
Cornerstone Guesthouse is a small, owner-run bed and breakfast, situated in a residential area within easy ...... walking distance of Swakopmund's old town centre – and plenty of restaurants. In the opposite direction, the ocean is a short walk away.
There are seven comfortable and clean bedrooms at Cornerstone Guest House, each with a private entrance. The rooms are decorated with a lavender theme, in soft whites, blues and lilacs, and each has a flat-screen satellite TV, fridge, safe, WiFi access and complimentary tea/coffee-making facilities.
Five of the bedrooms are double/twin rooms, and two are family rooms. These family rooms are larger, with a lounge area and pull-out beds, and can accommodate up to four people.
Every room has a large en-suite bathroom with modern fittings, a solar-powered shower (nice and powerful!), a toilet and basin. A hairdryer and extra blankets are available on request.
Outside each room is a patio, with table and chairs. The gardens form a very neat, orderly, colour-coordinated area with clipped lawns and smart borders of plants. They are well looked after by the owners, who can often be seen pottering around tending to them.
Cornerstone's central facilities focus on a large, bright breakfast room, where breakfast is served between 7.00am and 9.00am to the accompaniment of music. In the corner is a small sofa with a selection of books about Namibia, and there's also a small lounge area with satellite TV. For self-drivers, secure off-street parking is available.
The overall style and atmosphere at Cornerstone is very homely and laid back, and we’ve always felt immediately at ease upon arriving here. The staff are consistently friendly and approachable, as if welcoming us into their home. They are also very knowledgeable about the local area and activities in and around Swakopmund. (NB: It's essential that you read the Quadbike warning in the 'Health & Safety' section below for our comments on insurance issues regarding this activity.) During a stay here every guest is given a cellphone, to contact the management in case of emergency.
Cornerstone Guesthouse also has three self-catering apartments in Swakopmund each of which has three double bedrooms and can sleep up to six people. All three apartments are close to the centre of town and two are on the sea front.
Cornerstone Guesthouse is a good-value little bed and breakfast, and while it’s not a luxury property we’ve always loved its homely and personable atmosphere. It offers attractive accommodation and attentive service from a friendly and approachable team, and benefits from a convenient location in Swakopmund.
- Swakopmund & Walvis Bay, Namibia
- Ideal length of stay
- 2–3 nights
- Cornerstone Guesthouse is situated on the corner of Rhode Allee and Hendrik Witbooi, about five minutes' walk from the sea.
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- Breakfast at Cornerstone Guesthouse is generally a great selection of fresh fruits, yoghurts, different breads, eggs and bacon cooked to order, juices, and freshly brewed coffee and tea.
Lunch packs for your onward journey are easily arranged; just ask the night before you leave.
- Dining style
- Individual Tables
- Dining locations
- Indoor Dining
- Further dining info, including room service
- No room service is available.
- Drinks included
- Drinks are not included at Cornerstone Guesthouse. When we last visited, a bottle of wine was about N$80, a beer N$12, a Coke N$12 and a mineral water N$8.
- Although Cornerstone is a town B&B it is a great stop on a self-drive, birdwatching tour of Namibia. Walvis Bay Lagoon with its plentiful waterfowl is just a short drive away while Swakopmund itself is a perfect base for a guided birdwatching tour.
- See ideas for Birdwatching
- Attitude towards children
- Children of all ages are welcome at Cornerstone Guesthouse.
- Property’s age restrictions
- There are no age restrictions.
- Special activities & services
- Cornerstone Guesthouse has a baby's cot and two highchairs.
- Generally recommended for children
- Although children are welcome, the Cornerstone feels quite a "grown-up" place, and we don't think it'll suit children under about 10 very well.
- WiFi access is available throughout Cornerstone Guesthouse. Each guest is given a cellphone for emergency use during their stay. These are pre-programmed with all of the management’s numbers so you can contact them out of hours.
- TV & radio
- There is a flat screen satellite TV in every bedroom.
- Water supply
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- Swakopmund's private Cottage Hospital is five minutes from Cornerstone Guesthouse.
Quadbike warning: quad-biking is sometimes available as an activity from Cornerstone Guest House. As with any potentially dangerous activity, it’s vital that you take responsibility for ensuring that you have adequate travel insurance prior to getting involved. Be aware that some insurances cover quad-bike activities only for bikes with lower engine ratings: check such clauses particularly carefully before you get on a bike.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- Security guards are on site from 4.00pm to 7.00am (sunset to sunrise). There is a safe in each room.
- Fire safety
- Cornerstone Guesthouse has fire extinguishers in all bedrooms and in communal areas.
- Disabled access
- On Request
- Laundry facilities
- Same day laundry is available at an extra cost
- For personal belongings, there's a small digital safe in every bedroom, and there’s a bigger safe in the main house.
- Accepted payment on location
- Cornerstone Guesthouse accepts Visa and MasterCard, but not Amex or travellers' cheques. Cash payments may be made in Namibian dollars or South African rand.
Other lodges in Swakopmund & Walvis Bay
Alternative places to stay in this same area.