Sandfields Guesthouse: Our full report
Just a few minutes' drive north of the centre of Swakopmund, Sandfields Guesthouse has only five rooms, giving ...... it an intimate and cosy feel. The guesthouse is located in a quiet residential area just a short walk from the beach. Sandfields is particularly child friendly, as the owners have a child of their own.
On arrival at Sandfields Guesthouse, expect a warm and friendly welcome from the owners Jean, Paul and Richard as well as their two dogs Jock and Rocky. The five bedrooms all have log fireplaces made of sandstone, giving them a lovely warm glow, as well as fan heaters, for those colder winter months. The rooms are light and bright, decorated in bright whites and blues. Fresh flowers in each room add a personal touch. There is also a safe, satellite TV, a hairdryer, and tea and coffee making facilities and WiFi is available throughout the property. One of the rooms is slightly larger than the others and can be made into a triple, and there are two inter-connecting rooms that can be used for a family.
Each bedroom has an en-suite bathroom, all of which have a shower, and two of which have a bath and a shower.
The main areas of the guesthouse include a cosy lounge full of books and magazines which guest can enjoy on the comfortable sofa in front of the fire. The lodge offers homemade biscuits and there's also an honesty bar. The lounge opens out on to the secluded garden where there's a small playground for children and sun loungers for the adults.
There's a book exchange in the light and bright breakfast room, which also opens on to the garden, where guests can sit in good weather. The lodge is flexible and willing to cater to guests' needs, dietary requirements or special food requests such as birthday cakes. The owners are willing to book any local activities and restaurants for guests. Sandfields offers off-street parking.
Sandfields Guesthouse is conscious of its impact on the environment, and tries to reduce its effects through a variety of environmentally friendly methods, such as recycling plastic, glass, cans and paper, reusing washing machine water to water the garden, putting food waster on a compost heap, and reusing their shopping bags. The guesthouse also supports local businesses.
Sandfields Guesthouse is a cosy and friendly place to stay at for a few days while you explore Swakopmund and its surrounding area. Being particularly child-friendly, it's a good place for families and those who want to feel at home.
- Swakopmund & Walvis Bay, Namibia
- Ideal length of stay
- A stay of two to three nights is usually recommended
- Just north of Swakopmund town centre, Sandfields is located at number 11 Sphinx Street.
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- Breakfasts here are a selection of cold meats and cheeses, jam, muffins, fruit, nuts, seeds and yoghurt. Cooked breakfasts are made to order. Drinks include fruit juices, teas, freshly made coffee and rich hot chocolate. Breakfast times can be flexible in this small establishment to suit leaving early to do excursions in and around Swakopmund as well as providing a packed breakfast if necessary.
Sandfields Guesthouse does not usually offer dinner, but can do so on request for those staying for longer periods. Light lunches and snacks can sometimes be made on request.
- Attitude towards children
- Children are very welcome at Sandfields Guesthouse.
- Property’s age restrictions
- There are no age restrictions
- Special activities & services
- There is a garden play area designed specifically for children
- High chairs are available, as well as a cot.
- Generally recommended for children
- Yes – we really recommend this lodge for children. The owners have a child of their own and so are sympathetic to the needs of parents with children.
- There are phones in the rooms, as well as wireless internet. Guests are welcome to use the computer in reception.
There is also mobile phone reception here.
- TV & radio
- All rooms have a TV with CNN and children's channels.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- There are doctors and hospitals in Swakopmund.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- There is a remote controlled gate and two dogs- Jock and Rocky.
- Fire safety
- All rooms have fire extinguishers.
- Disabled access
- Not Possible
- Laundry facilities
- Accepted payment on location
- Credit cards are not accepted, but traveller's cheques are. You can also pay in cash with South African Rand/Namibian dollars.
Other lodges in Swakopmund & Walvis Bay
Alternative places to stay in this same area.