Four Rosmead: Our full report
A small, privately owned guesthouse in a very central location, Four Rosmead lies on the lower slopes of ...... Table Mountain, with 360-degree views of Table Mountain, Lions Head, Signal Hill, the city of Cape Town and Table Bay. It’s an easy walk, through the Company Gardens – where you will find the National Museum and Art Gallery – to the city centre, or a ten-minute drive to the V&A Waterfront and the beaches of Camps Bay. Kloof Street, with its local restaurants and cafés, is also a short walk away.
Built in 1903, and originally a private house, Four Rosmead has been sympathetically converted into a comfortable guesthouse with eight rooms: three ‘luxury’ (standard) rooms; four ‘deluxe’ rooms and a suite. All have spacious en-suite bathrooms, each with a modern round basin, flush toilet, heated towel rail and underfloor heating, and most with a shower over the bath. Bathrobes, hairdryers and toiletries provided.
- Of the three ‘luxury’ rooms (which are Four Rosmead’s standard rooms) two are situated downstairs, leading into a small courtyard garden, with the third upstairs.
- The four deluxe rooms, each with a private balcony, are located upstairs with views of Table Mountain or the city. The en-suite bathrooms of two of these rooms have a separate glass-enclosed shower cubicle as well as a bath.
- The suite at Four Rosmead is in a separate building set in the small garden. Both the comfortable en-suite bedroom and separate lounge have doors leading onto a private patio with an outdoor shower. In the lounge you’ll find a large flat-screen TV and a fireplace, while in the bedroom, built-in cupboards flank a modern fireplace. The bathroom is modern and spacious with double basins and a shower over the bath, where one wall features modern green-and-brown glass tiles.
There’s also a large lounge with polished wooden floors and two separate seating areas, one arranged in front of a large fireplace.
Throughout Four Rosmead you’ll find a selection of artwork by local South African artists. From paintings to wire and beaded sculptures and animals, these pieces are for sale and make a rather personal memento.
Although Four Rosmead is set on a fairly compact site, the outdoor area has been cleverly designed and landscaped to make the most of the available space. This includes a rectangular solar-heated swimming pool, between the main house and the suite, where a few steps lead down to a gravelled area set with sunloungers and umbrellas. The property also has secure off-street parking.
On the lower ground floor, beside two of the ‘luxury’ rooms, is a small spa which offers massages and facials. At the time of our visit in May 2014, the cost of a massage was ZAR500 (£30) an hour. Treatments need to be booked in advance.
We found Four Rosmead very comfortable and welcoming, with amazing views of the City and the mountains. It is ideally located to explore the city of Cape Town and its immediate surroundings. Although the outdoor area is small and compact, this is not usually of consequence since most guests will be out and about during their stay and will not spend much time here during the day.
South Africa expert
- Cape Town, South Africa
- Ideal length of stay
- Three to four nights – possibly more - is required in order to explore all that Cape Town has to offer
- Four Rosmead is located in Oranjezicht, a suburb of Cape Town, which is about 20 – 30 minutes drive from the airport.
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- Breakfast at Four Rosmead is served daily between 7.30am and 11.00am. During our visit in May 2014 we were offered a buffet of fresh sliced fruit, fruit salad served in individual glass bowls, a selection of cereals, yoghurt and home-made breads with fresh fruit juice, tea and coffee. A cooked breakfast is also available.
Neither lunch nor dinner are included in the rate at Four Rosmead. However, lunch can be ordered in from a nearby deli, or the guesthouse can provide a ploughman’s platter of cold meats, cheeses, olives, nuts and crackers.
Similarly, a take-away dinner can be arranged from local restaurants and can be plated and served to you in the breakfast room, outside on the veranda or on your private patio or balcony.
- Dining style
- Individual Tables
- Dining locations
- Indoor and Outdoor Dining
- Further dining info, including room service
- For those staying in the ‘deluxe’ rooms and the suite, room service is available on your private balcony or patio.
- Drinks included
- Attitude towards children
- Children of 12 years and over are welcome at Four Rosmead. However if the whole house is privately booked then children of all ages are welcome.
- Property’s age restrictions
- 12 years and over
- Special activities & services
- There are no special activities and services for children
- No equipment is provided for children
- Generally recommended for children
- We recommend Four Rosmead for children 12 years and older
- Children need to be supervised around the swimming pool
- There are telephones in each room. There is good mobile reception and complimentary WiFi throughout the guest house. There is also a computer and printer available for guests to use.
- TV & radio
- Satellite TV
- Water supply
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- There is a hospital just down the road from the guest house.
Quadbike warning: quad-biking is sometimes available as an activity in this area. As with any potentially dangerous activity, it’s vital that you take responsibility for ensuring that you have adequate travel insurance prior to getting involved. Be aware that some insurances cover quad-bike activities only for bikes with lower engine ratings: check such clauses particularly carefully before you get on a bike.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- The property is surrounded by a security fence and each guest is given a key for the main gate and the front door. There is a member of staff on duty throughout the night
- Fire safety
- There are fire extinguishers in each room and in the main areas
Hot air ballooning
- Disabled access
- On Request
- Laundry facilities
- Laundry is provided at an extra cost.
- Each room has a digital safe. No currency exchange is available. There are banks and cash point machines in the area.
- Accepted payment on location
- Visa and MasterCard are accepted at no additional charge as well as South African rands in cash. Foreign currency is accepted only for tips.
Other lodges in Cape Town
Alternative places to stay in this same area.