Mara Kati Kati: Our full report
Mara Kati Kati is one of the more simple tented camps located in the northern Serengeti, only a short drive ...... from the Mara River. This area is less visited than the south or central Serengeti and harbours good populations of wildlife. It is also a great spot to witness the wildebeest migration from July to September.
None of the Expert Africa team have stayed at Mara Kati Kati yet. However, we’ve had good experiences at Kati Kati in the central Serengeti which offers a good level of comfort and is comparatively economical and we expect the same here at the Mara camp.
We have been told that Mara Kati Kati has ten safari tents all of which have an en-suite bathroom. A small covered veranda with some chairs in front of each tent leads to the inside. The furnishings are very comfortable and you’ll find all you need. However, it’s certainly not luxurious and stylish but rather simple and functional. The beds have iron frames and there is a luggage rack and small writing desk in each room. The small en-suite bathroom at the back of the tent has a flush toilet and safari shower, which is filled with hot water on request. There is one family tent that can accommodate two adults and two children.
We understand that the mess tent at Mara Kati Kati, where meals are served, is located in the centre of the camp. There is also a camp fire surrounded by chairs where guests can gather and socialise whilst having a drink and nibbles before dinner. There's no real lounge tent here, and no place to relax – but as almost all guests staying here are likely to be out on full day game drives, returning in the late afternoon or early evening, this is seldom an issue.
Activities are predominantly game drives in the areas around the Mara River. This camp does not have its own guides and so it needs to be visited as part of a private guided trip. Guests can benefit from private bush breakfasts or drinks and balloon safaris, for an additional cost.
Mara Kati Kati is a small mobile bush camp that would suit those travellers who are looking after an authentic bush experience for a reasonable price. Its no-frills approach means that is one of the best value ways to see the wildebeest migration in the northern Serengeti. We will update this page when we have more details. Meanwhile, just ask us for further information.
Country manager: Tanzania
- Serengeti Migration Area, Tanzania
- The camp is a short drive from Kogatende Airstrip, however guests will likely drive here from other parts of the Serengeti with a private driver guide. It is approximately 2 hours driving from the central Serengeti.
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Full Board
- Dining style
- Individual Tables
- Dining locations
- Indoor and Outdoor Dining
- Further dining info, including room service
- Not possible
- Drinks included
- Drinks are not included
- Attitude towards children
- The camp allows children of all ages.
- Property’s age restrictions
- There are no specific age restrictions at Mara Kati Kati Camp.
- Special activities & services
- Generally recommended for children
- This camp is simple and wild, game can and does pass through the camp. It is only suitable for older children like any wild safari camp.
Our travellers’ wildlife sightings from Mara Kati Kati
Since mid-2018, many of our travellers who stayed at Mara Kati Kati have kindly recorded their wildlife sightings and shared them with us. The results are below. Click an animal to see more, and here to see more on our methodology.
- Power supply notes
- Back up generator
- There is no Wifi available.
- TV & radio
- There are no televisions in camp.
- Water supply
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Dangerous animals
- High Risk
- Fire safety
Hot air ballooning
- Disabled access
- Not Possible
- Laundry facilities
- The camp does not have the facilities to do laundry. Instead washing powder is provided so that guests can do their own laundry if they require it.
- There is a safe in the main area which guests can lock their valuables in securely. There is no currency exchange in camp.
- Accepted payment on location
- Mara Kati Kati accepts cash only – US$, €, £ and Tanzanian Shillings are all accepted.
Other lodges in Serengeti Migration Area
Alternative places to stay in this same area.