Namib Naukluft Lodge: Our full report
Namib Naukluft Lodge is located 60km from Sesriem, just south of Solitaire.Backed by granite hills, the lodge is a little more modern than some others in the area, but is still a good base for trips to Sossusvlei.
Namib Naukluft Lodge has 16 rooms all built in a row. These rooms are built of brick, and quite modern in design, unlike many of the tented lodges nearer to Sesriem. Each room is comfortably furnished with twin beds, a table and a couple of chairs. The rooms are painted in terracotta and earthy colours, which matches the wooden furniture. All rooms have air conditioning, a fridge and a telephone, and all are en-suite.
Out the back of the room is a small veranda with a table and chairs. From here guests can gaze out over the plains or watch the resident ground squirrels scampering about.
The lodge's main area is all located around the reception. There's a comfortable lounge decorated with local paintings, prints and hand woven carpets. Nearby is the well-stocked bar, which somewhat bizarrely has a giant birds nest above it.
Traditional meals can be prepared by the chef in front of the guests on an open fire in the lapa, or sometimes they are served on the veranda. Outside the front of the lodge is a braai area with a lot of seating. Sometimes a braai is served here for the guests. Along a little path from the seating area is a turquoise swimming pool.
Activities offered from Namib Naukluft Lodge include a selection of well marked walking trails leading to a granite hill, around a mountain and to a nearby hide where you might see some birds. Guests can participate on desert drives, sundowner drives, and for those without a car, the lodge offers a 4x4 Sossusvlei trip including a picnic breakfast.
Namib Naukluft Lodge is located reasonably far from Sesriem, but for those that do stay here, there's some lovely scenery and comfortable and clean rooms.
- Namib-Naukluft National Park, Namibia
- Ideal length of stay
- 2–3 nights
- Namib Naukluft Lodge is located 60km from the Sesriem Gate, south of Solitaire on the C19.
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- The lodge serves a buffet breakfast with hot food on offer and a varied dinner menu. There's also the possibility of a braai, with the chef cooking the meat for the guests in the braai area.
- Dining style
- Individual Tables
- Dining locations
- Indoor and Outdoor Dining
- Further dining info, including room service
- Drinks included
- Not included; to be paid for locally.
- Attitude towards children
- Children of all ages are welcome.
- Property’s age restrictions
- Special activities & services
- Generally recommended for children
- Children must be supervised by their parents at all times.
- There is a central phone in the main area and phones in the rooms which guests can use and pay for locally. There is mobile reception at the lodge.
- TV & radio
- Water supply
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- The nearest doctor is Windhoek or Swakopmund. In emergency cases patients would be flown to Windhoek.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- Not necessary, the lodge is protected by its remote location.
- Fire safety
- There is a fire extinguisher in each room.
- Disabled access
- On Request
- Laundry facilities
- Full Laundry Service - Extra Charge
- Currency exchange is available.
- Accepted payment on location
- Visa and MasterCard are accepted as a method of payment. No commission is charged on credit-card payments.
Other lodges in Namib-Naukluft National Park
Alternative places to stay in this same area.