Beach Lodge: Our full report
Beach Lodge is a comfortable guesthouse located about 5km north of Swakopmund town centre, directly overlooking ...... the beach. Its distinctive nautical design, with large porthole-like windows and sail shaped rooves make it stand out from the other properties along the beachfront.
Beach Lodge has 19 sea-facing rooms in various categories, including four that are designed for families. All are bright and airy and decorated in sandy tones of beige, cream and gold. Each is equipped with a telephone, a TV with a selection of satellite channels, WiFi access, tea- and coffee-making facilities, a minibar and a safe, and some of the family rooms also have a small kitchenette. Most of the rooms have ceiling fans, and for those cold winter evenings, some have fireplaces while others are equipped with heaters.
All rooms have an en-suite bathrooms with showers, twin basins and hairdryers, but only the roomsdownstairs have private patios leading onto the lawn and down to the beach while those upstairs have balconies accessed by large sliding glass doors.
- The ten standard rooms are clean and functional, and simply decorated. The nautical theme continues through some of the rooms with circular, porthole windows, and many are decorated with photos of beaches or sea scenes.
- The two standard family rooms have two separate bedrooms sharing a bathroom, as well as a small kitchenette with crockery and cutlery.
- The five luxury rooms are larger than the standard rooms, with the addition of a writing desk to their amenities. The en-suite bathrooms are spacious and bright, and some have a bath as well as a shower.
- Two luxury family rooms
- Montrose is built over two floors, each with its own balcony, and can accommodate six people. On the first floor there is a double room with an en-suite bathroom and a set of bunk beds in a little alcove. This can be closed off when children are not staying, which gives the impression of the beds being in a cupboard, but the doors remain open when the beds are occupied! On the next floor is another double room with an open-plan bathroom. There is also an equipped kitchenette.
- Kolmanskop has two bedrooms on one floor and a shared bathroom. This room has a separate lounge but no kitchenette.
Breakfast is served upstairs in a large, bright restaurant called The Wreck, which is also open to the public for lunch and dinner. As the name suggests the nautical theme present throughout the rest of the property continues in her, with the large windows reminiscent of a ships bridge, offering sweeping views of the beach and Atlantic ocean.
Beach Lodge is a relaxed guesthouse and is one of the more characterful properties in Swakopmund, offering quality accommodation on a quiet and beautiful stretch of beach. It’s about a 15-minute drive from town, making it less convenient for Swakopmund’s restaurants than many properties, but it does have a fantastic restaurant on site.
Country manager: Namibia
- Swakopmund & Walvis Bay, Namibia
- Ideal length of stay
- 2–3 nights is ideal to explore Swakopmund and take part in the many activities available here.
- Beach lodge is located on Stint Street, about 5km north of Swakopmund's town centre. Follow the Strand North of town, where it will turn into Fischreiner Street. Turn left on Flamingo Street and then right onto Tsavorite Street. Take a left into Plover Street and follow it until you reach Stint Street on the left. Beach Lodge is at the end of this road.
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- Breakfast is served in The Wreck restaurant and consists of a cold buffet of homemade bread, a selection of jams, cheeses, fruit, yoghurts, cereals and tea and coffee. A cooked breakfast is also available on request.
The restaurant has various à la carte menus, ranging from a light lunch menu to a full dinner menu, with a wide variety of wines available too. As the restaurant is open to the public, be sure to make a reservation if you wish to dine here.
- Dining style
- Individual Tables
- Dining locations
- Indoor Dining
- Drinks included
- Drinks are not included
- Attitude towards children
- Children are welcome at Beach Lodge.
- Property’s age restrictions
- There are no age restrictions at Beach Lodge.
- Special activities & services
- There is a children's menu available at the Wreck restaurant.
- Beach Lodge has highchairs, cots and baby baths available.
- Generally recommended for children
- The property is not fenced in and the lawn leads straight onto the beach and into the sea, so parents need to supervise young children at all times.
- Internet is available in reception and there's WiFi in all the rooms for a small charge of N$40 (approximately GB£2.50) for 60MB.
There is good cellphone reception in Swakopmund and each room has a direct-dial phone.
- TV & radio
- All the rooms are equipped with satellite TV.
- Water supply
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- There are doctors and hospitals in Swakopmund.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- There is a security guard in the evenings and overnight. There are also alarmed light beams at night to protect cars parked at Beach Lodge’s secure car park.
- Fire safety
- There are fire extinguishers at Beach Lodge.
- Disabled access
- On Request
- Laundry facilities
- A laundry service is available at an extra charge.
- There are safes in each of the rooms.
Currency exchange is not available but there are many banks and cash machines in Swakopmund.
- Accepted payment on location
- Payment may be made using Visa, MasterCard and Amex cards, or in cash with Namibian dollars or South African rands.
Other lodges in Swakopmund & Walvis Bay
Alternative places to stay in this same area.