Etosha Safari Lodge: Our full report
Opened in 2008, Etosha Safari Lodge is set on top of a hillock, about 10km south of Etosha National Park's ...... Andersson Gate. It’s a large, relatively simple place, well suited to visitors wishing to explore Namibia’s flagship safari park in their own vehicle or on a guided game drive.
Etosha Safari Lodge is a member of the Gondwana Collection and caters to a lot of large groups, which may mean that the service is less personal than at some of the other lodges in the area. On our stay in December 2016 we thought it felt more like a hotel in the bush than a traditional safari lodge. However, because of its size it offers good value for money and on our stays we have found the staff to be welcoming and friendly.
Etosha Safari Lodge lies 2.4km from its sister property, Etosha Safari Camp and combines well with other Gondwana properties such as Hakusembe River Lodge, Damara Mopane Lodge or The Delight.
The lodge has 65 chalets, set in long rows on either side of the main building. They are solidly built in a cottage style, with brick columns, whitewashed walls, high ceilings, and small private verandas overlooking the bush. Most of the chalets have a double bed, but five – suitable for families – are furnished with four beds. All are clean and spacious, with air conditioning, white and blue décor, a wooden wardrobe and a desk with a fruit bowl, tea and coffee station and some snacks. Each room has a phone connecting it to the main building, and a safe for storing valuables.
An en-suite toilet and shower are located separately on either side of the bed. The shower is enormous, and next to it is the basin and towel rail, with a soap dispenser on the wall.
From the rooms to the main building can be a fair distance, so Etosha Safari Lodge provides a minibus shuttle service for those who find the walk too far. Ther is also parking by each chalet so guests can drive themselves if they prefer.
The main building houses a reception area, with a range of curios for sale. Buffet meals are presented in the dining room, which has a large, well-stocked bar, and a stunning wooden-decked balcony where tables are also set out for meals. Along the deck is a drinks area with a firepit; built high on stilts, this is a perfect spot for sundowners, with fantastic views over the bush and Etosha National Park in the distance.
Spread along the rows of chalets are three swimming pools, very clear and blue, and most inviting after a hot day's game driving. Adjacent to each is a small hut filled with deck chairs and sun umbrellas for guests to use.
Activities at Etosha Safari Lodge, as at its sister property, focus on game drives into Etosha National Park. Although self-drivers are free to explore the park on their own, those who don't want to drive themselves can make use of the lodge's daily excursions: half- or full-day guided game drives in open vehicles. It is always sensible to book guided trips in advance, as vehicles at the Safari Lodge are shared with its sister property, Etosha Safari Camp, so excursions can easily be fully booked. It is also worth noting that whilst the lodge aims to use the smaller 9 seat game viewer vehicle for trips into Etosha we did see several much larger lorries, so it is worth checking the sort of vehicle that will be used, especially if the lodge is busy.
Etosha Safari Lodge is a good base from which to explore Etosha National Park and its fantastic wildlife. It's good value, with a lovely sundowner deck and friendly staff. However it’s regularly used by tour groups, which may not appeal to more independent travellers.
- Etosha National Park, Namibia
- Ideal length of stay
- Two or three nights
- Etosha Safari Lodge is located on the C38, about 2.4km from Etosha Safari Camp, and 10km south of Etosha's Andersson Gate.
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- A buffet breakfast comprises cereal, fruit, yoghurt, tea and coffee, bacon and scrambled eggs. The hot breakfast is pre-cooked, so sometimes it is not as fresh as it could be. Breakfast is served between 06:00 and 09:00
Lunch and dinner are also buffet meals, with a wide choice of salads, soup, meats, vegetables and fruit or a cooked dessert. These are served 12:00-15:00 and 19:00-21:00 respectively. In quieter times the lunch menu reverts to an a la arte menu as it was in December 2017 when we last visited. On this visit the food was hearty and wholesome with large portion sizes although its worth noting that the service was a little slow in part because the lodge was so quiet.
- Dining style
- Individual Tables
- Dining locations
- Indoor and Outdoor Dining
- Further dining info, including room service
- Drinks included
- Attitude towards children
- Children are welcome at Etosha Safari Lodge.
- Property’s age restrictions
- There are no age restrictions.
- Special activities & services
- Highchairs and cots are available.
- Generally recommended for children
- There is not a huge amount to keep children entertained, apart from the swimming pools.
- Children must be supervised at all times, especially at the unfenced pools and on the dining-room balcony, where there’s a large gap between the railing and the floor.
Our travellers’ wildlife sightings from Etosha Safari Lodge
Since mid-2018, many of our travellers who stayed at Etosha Safari Lodge have kindly recorded their wildlife sightings and shared them with us. The results are below. Click an animal to see more, and here to see more on our methodology.
- Power supply notes
- There is a backup generator in case of a power cut.
- There is free WiFi in the main areas.
- TV & radio
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- There are flushing toilets and plumbed in showers.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- The nearest doctor is in Outjo.
- Dangerous animals
- Moderate Risk
- Security measures
- There is a guard on the main gate at night.
- Fire safety
- Fire extinguishers and hose pipes are located in the main areas.
- Disabled access
- On Request
- Laundry facilities
- There is a full Laundry Service available for an extra charge.
- There is a safe in every room.
- Accepted payment on location
- Payments may be made with Visa and MasterCard, and in cash with Namibian dollars or South African rand.
Other lodges in Etosha National Park
Alternative places to stay in this same area.