Hotel Zum Kaiser: Our full report
Just a few metres back from the beach, the Hotel Zum Kaiser (formerly Swakopmund Boutique Hotel) is a modern ...... and stylish building in a good location in Swakopmund.
The 21 rooms, all painted white, have air conditioning, a phone, safe, honesty bar, tea and coffee facilities and balconies overlooking the street. Dressing gowns are also provided, and there are TVs in some rooms. A splash of colour in each room is added from cushions scattered on the beds and fresh flowers. Twelve of the rooms have views of the ocean, but if your room doesn't have an ocean view, you can always head up to the roof terrace. The rooms all have en-suite bathrooms with baths and showers.
Zum Kaiser is fairly large compared with some of the more intimate B&Bs on offer in the town. Because of this, the hotel does appeal to those on business trips, but for leisure you will receive just as much welcome and attention. Guests are greeted by a uniformed doorman, which does seem a little over the top for a small hotel! Inside the lobby and reception area is the central spiral staircase, again all in white, but lit by the skylight above. For those who prefer, there's also a lift. To one side of the reception is a small lounge area, and there's also a TV room and with internet access. Right at the top of the spiral staircase is a door that takes you through to the roof terrace, which is great for sundowners and has shaded seating and a beach view. The uniformed waiters offer helpful and friendly service.
Next door to the Swakopmund Boutique Hotel is the stylish and modern Restaurant Zum Kaiser, owned by the hotel. There's an extensive menu including a children's menu, plus a wine cellar. The food here is mainly fish, seafood and steaks, all for a reasonable price. The 42-seater restaurant is decorated with paintings by local artists, which are for sale. For those who just want a drink, there's a bar here with a fireplace.
The Zum Kaiser hotel reception can assist you with booking any of the activities in Swakopmund, and can make reservations at local restaurants, especially The Gallery Restaurant. They can also arrange wake up calls. Reception at the hotel is open 24 hours. (NB: It’s essential that you read the Quadbike warning in the ‘Health & Safety’ section below for our comments on insurance issues regarding this activity.)
The Hotel Zum Kaiser offers a bright airy and modern place to stay in Swakopmund town centre, with easy access to shops and restaurants, including their own. Although not as intimate as some Guesthouses, its central location and comfortable rooms make it a relaxed place to stay in Swakopmund.
Country manager: Namibia
- Swakopmund & Walvis Bay, Namibia
- Ideal length of stay
- 2-3 nights
- Hotel Zum Kaiser is found at number 4, Sam Nujoma Avenue, very close to the sea.
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Attitude towards children
- Children are welcome at Swakopmund Boutique Hotel.
- Property’s age restrictions
- There are no age restrictions.
- Special activities & services
- Generally recommended for children
- Although children are welcome here, there are other B&Bs in Swakopmund that have a few more facilities for children.
- Children should be under parental supervision at all times.
- There are phones in all rooms and internet is available in reception.
- TV & radio
- There is a TV room, and some rooms have TVs.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- There are many doctors and pharmacists within walking distance, and there is a hospital in Swakopmund.
Quadbike warning: quad-biking is sometimes available as an activity from Hotel Zum Kaiser. As with any potentially dangerous activity, it’s vital that you take responsibility for ensuring that you have adequate travel insurance prior to getting involved. Be aware that some insurances cover quad-bike activities only for bikes with lower engine ratings: check such clauses particularly carefully before you get on a bike.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- There is a doorman on the door at all times.
- Fire safety
- The lodge has fire extinguishers.
- Disabled access
- On Request
- Laundry facilities
- Full Laundry Service - Extra Charge
- The hotel accepts all local currencies.
- Accepted payment on location
- Visa and MasterCard are accepted.
Other lodges in Swakopmund & Walvis Bay
Alternative places to stay in this same area.