Sea Breeze Guesthouse: Our full report
Sea Breeze Guesthouse is situated near to the beach, in the north of Swakopmund.It’s a peaceful and comfortable place to stay in a quiet residential area.
The friendly owners of Sea Breeze, Bennie and Charlot, have paid great attention to detail and each of the twelve rooms is individually and tastefully decorated in a different style. Local artwork adorns the brightly coloured walls and all rooms offer tea and coffee facilities, hairdryers, safes and universal plugs. Some also have a television, but there's also one in the lounge.
Along with different décor comes a different arrangement for each room. All have en-suite bathrooms, but some come with a bath, some with a shower, and some with both bath and shower. The honeymoon suite has a larger bathroom than the other rooms, with a stand-alone bath where guests can request champagne. Four of the rooms are larger family rooms, which double as self-catering units, as each has a kitchenette with a stove, microwave, fridge, freezer and toaster.
Despite the name, the rooms at Sea Breeze either have a view of the garden or of the street. Unfortunately the sea views have all but disappeared as more and more buildings have sprung up between the guesthouse and the coast. On the plus side, some of the ground-floor rooms open out onto the verdant garden, with a table and chairs allowing you to sit out, and other rooms have their own seating areas around the property.
On the first floor, the breakfast room and lounge make up the communal area at Sea Breeze, with a balcony where guests may opt to eat on fine mornings. There’s a satellite TV in the lounge, along with free internet in reception, and there’s WiFi in the rooms. The guesthouse offers a secure parking area.
One of the owners will often sit down with you as you check in and help to plan your stay. They can recommend and book local restaurants and activities, including desert trips, kayaking, quadbiking and trips to Sandwich Harbour. (NB: It's essential that you read the Quadbike warning in the 'Health & Safety' section below for our comments on insurance issues regarding this activity.)
Although some might prefer to be closer to the centre of town, the delightful Sea Breeze Guesthouse is a cosy place to stay for exploring Swakopmund and its surroundings. It is very clean and well looked after, and its brightly coloured rooms and equally bright and friendly hosts made us feel at home.
- Swakopmund & Walvis Bay, Namibia
- Ideal length of stay
- 2-3 nights
- Heading north from Swakopmund's centre, along the coast, follow Strand Street followed by First Avenue, which turns into Fischreiner Street. After about 3km turn right into Turmalin Street. Sea Breeze Guesthouse is number 48, on the right.
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- We found the Breakfast at Sea Breeze to be delicious during our stay in Octover 2016 – a large buffet spread consisting of breads, meats, fruit, bread, jam, tea, coffee and juices, with hot breakfast items cooked to order. A champagne breakfasts can also be arranged if you wish to really celebrate.
- Attitude towards children
- Children of all ages are welcome
- Property’s age restrictions
- There are no age restrictions at Sea Breeze Guesthouse.
- Cots and highchairs can be provided.
- Generally recommended for children
- Children must be supervised at all times by their parents.
- Power supply notes
- There are power sockets in all the rooms, however you will need to bring your own adaptor.
- Internet is available in reception, and WiFi is available in the rooms.
- TV & radio
- There is a satellite TV in the lounge and in some rooms.
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- The showers are plumbed, the toilets are flush and there is plenty of hot water.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- There are many doctors and a hospital in Swakopmund.
Quadbike warning: quad-biking is sometimes available as an activity from this in this area. As with any potentially dangerous activity, it’s vital that you take responsibility for ensuring that you have adequate travel insurance prior to getting involved. Be aware that some insurances cover quad-bike activities only for bikes with lower engine ratings: check such clauses particularly carefully before you get on a bike.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- There is a nightwatchman.
- Fire safety
- Fire extinguishers are available.
- Disabled access
- In Place
- Laundry facilities
- A laundry service is available for an extra charge.
- There is a safe in each room. Currency exchange is not possible, but there are numerous banks with ATMs in Swakopmund.
- Accepted payment on location
- Sea Breeze Guesthouse accepts cash in Namibian dollars and South African rand, as well as card payments by Visa and MasterCard.
Other lodges in Swakopmund & Walvis Bay
Alternative places to stay in this same area.