Kapani Lodge: Our full report
Kapani, which means 'the place of the Mopane trees', is situated on the banks of a permanent oxbow lake, ...... just outside South Luangwa National Park.
After serving as a gateway for visitors to the South Luangwa for a number of decades, Kapani closed to the public at the end of 2015. The camp now acts as the operational headquarters for Time + Tide, who run a number of the Norman Carr bushcamps in the park, as well as the luxurious Chinzombo.
We first visited Kapani in 1995, when its founder, Norman Carr, was still alive – and whilst it evolved and improved in comfort and style since then, its simple safari feel didn't change much, a good thing in our view!
Chat to us for more information on Kapani's sister-bushcamps, Luwi Bushcamp, Nsolo Bushcamp, Kakuli Bushcamp and Mchenja Camp.
Kapani closed in 2015 and is now the operational headquarters for the team running its sister camps in the park. Please call us for more information about the various accommodation options in this area of the South Luangwa.
- South Luangwa National Park, Zambia
- 45 minutes drive from Mfuwe airport.
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Full Board & Activities
- Dining style
- Group Meals
- Dining locations
- Indoor and Outdoor Dining
- Further dining info, including room service
- Wildlife safaris
- Kapani is close to the centre of South Luangwa – around Mfuwe Lagoon – which means very relaxed big game indeed, and usually some excellent sightings. 4WD safaris are organised both day and night, but walking safaris can also be requested. The guiding here is of a high standard.
- See ideas for Wildlife safaris
- Attitude towards children
- There is mobile phone reception around the camp.
- TV & radio
- No TVs or radios – this is the bush.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- The nearest doctor is based at a nearby lodge, typically 15 minutes' drive away. For more serious cases you would be airlifted to Lusaka or Johannesburg.
- Dangerous animals
- High Risk
- Fire safety
Guided walking safari
- Disabled access
- On Request
Other lodges in South Luangwa National Park
Alternative places to stay in this same area.