Reviews of Nsefu
Wildlife sightings and reviews
165 independent comments and wildlife information from our travellers who have visited Nsefu and kindly agreed to share their thoughts. They do not necessarily represent the views of Expert Africa
"Three day safari at Nsefu Camp"
* The elephants were less aggressive than in Zimbabwe and smaller due to the selective poaching of the large bulls.
The villagers still do selective poaching, but the international pressure had slowed the process.
One highlight was watching a maternal group of elephants swim the river with the baby elephants clutching their Mother's tails.
* Encountering five lions that had killed a young Cape Buffalo. In total, we came in close contact with nearly twenty lions over the three days at Nsefu.
* Finding a young female leopard who was as curious about us as we were about her. Magnificent to see in the daylight!
* We found a three female pack of the rare African Painted dogs as they moved along the river bank. Painted dogs are endangered and hadn't been seen in the area in some time.
* Leopards are difficult to find during daylight, but we were lucky to witness an hour long battle between a troop of 50+ yellow baboons and a female leopard they had chased into a large tree. She survived, but must have had quite a headache from all the baboon screeching!
My spouse loved Nsefu's decor and we found the food, staff and Roundels charming.
" See all these reviews: 7n in Zambia; 6n in Zimbabwe
"Nsefu Camp Experience"
Good location in S Luangwa National Park." See all these reviews: 14n in Zambia
"Daudi runs an excellent camp!"
The food and the atmosphere were as good as ever and the staff went out of their way to make my birthday sundowner on the river an occasion to remember. Shared stories of the day's events around the campfire in the evening were a highlight of the visit. Getting up at 4.30 a.m. to drive to the hot springs and then a bush breakfast was equally special.
I'd encourage guests to visit the Kawaza village project and the school. We enjoyed our day very much and the children were a joy." See all these reviews: 9n in Zambia
It, as always, is a friendly and relaxed place with great guiding and the staff are excellent and helpful. They made my 70th birthday very special which will always be remembered. The food was always a temptation and their cakes are a weight watchers nightmare." See all these reviews: 18n in Zambia
"River safaris at Nsefu"
Daudi reigns supreme as the heart and soul of Nsefu: a superb guide, and an excellent manager of the camp who made our stay so enjoyable and so memorable." See all these reviews: 9n in Zambia
Great sightings of a group of elephants struggling to climb the steep river bank in fast flowing water, having crossed the river - they succeded. Beautiful late afternoon trip up the Mwamba tributary past hippos and all sorts of birds (including a Pel's fishing owl). And a lovely walk around the ebony grove area on the Kaingo side of the river. We even had a brief stop off to see what Kaingo looked like out of season.
At this time of the year this is a boat / walking camp only, and this provides a very different experience to the drives. The rondeval rooms are nicely furnished with a great deck and chairs out front, and a shower and bathroom at the rear. Thanks Daudi and his team. And Thomas - good luck with your guiding exams next month." See all these reviews: 9n in Zambia
A chair in the bathroom would be a good idea." See all these reviews: 17n in Zambia
I found all the activities well run and all the staff excellent." See all these reviews: 17n in Zambia
Highlight was joining lions out on a hunt at night with good lion sightings most days.
No leopards was the only dissappointment
We walked fron Nsefu to Tena Tena which was an easy 3 1/2 hour stroll. This was interesting and made a nice change to the jeeps." See all these reviews: 7n in Zambia
Holiday styles & special interests in Zambia
From birdwatching breaks to walking holidays, find great ideas for your trip in Zambia.
Other lodges in South Luangwa National Park
Alternative places to stay in this same area.